General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the one thing you'll never try again on a bike??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
da_juice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What's the one thing you'll never try again on a bike??

I'm sure everyone has a story to tell...

Mine goes like this:

A phat joint (don't judge, it was over ten years ago), my new 1200 Ninja (again 10 years ago...) and the scariest 90 mile ride in the middle of the night along the Florida Panhandle.

Never again!!!

... at least not on a Ninja

Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding two-up at 135 mph twice on my Honda V65. Of course not owning the bike any longer helps.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
dylder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road rage, never again, even if they deserve it ... over 10 years ago some b__ch cut me off on the 4 lane ... I got pissed and went after her to tell her off. She swerved her car at me and damn near killed me. I'm a lot more mellow now.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will never again let the clutch out & start rolling without double checking my kick stand position! I was just into 3rd gear & banking left for a corner but the stand would not allow me to turn. By the time I was stopped, My front tire was nosing into a very deep ditch. You couldn't get a pin up my hoop with a jack hammer!
Hatch

Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
da_juice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I will never again let the clutch out & start rolling without double checking my kick stand position! I was just into 3rd gear & banking left for a corner but the stand would not allow me to turn. By the time I was stopped, My front tire was nosing into a very deep ditch. You couldn't get a pin up my hoop with a jack hammer!
Hatch

I guess that's when the shut-off sensor on the newer models comes handy

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

After the first time, I said I would never ride on the Los Angeles freeways again. I have since rode them two more times. It's beyond crazy. It was definetly a white knuckle experience, all three times. In the future, I'm going to avoid LA on a motorcycle at all costs.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
da_juice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dylder
Road rage, never again, even if they deserve it ... over 10 years ago some b__ch cut me off on the 4 lane ... I got pissed and went after her to tell her off. She swerved her car at me and damn near killed me. I'm a lot more mellow now.

The only thing I do when I get cut off or in other way "violated" while riding, is to speed up and get away from the rest of the traffic... my middle finger might find it's way up too

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have slammed the side of a school bus; been over the hood of a car and got off many times racing. BUT!!! I never had an experience like running out of gas on the wrong side of a very long and steep bridge. Thought I was dead from pushing a 700# scooter to the top. I will put it on the stand, catch a ride and bring gas back, if someone runs over it; oh well!!!

Last edited by Rustyrider; 02-23-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

For some reason I decided to use Doc Baileys on my solo saddle. Looked good. When I went for a ride I had a wild hair to do a WOT launch from a dead stop.

I managed to hang on but I had slid back onto the fender. This was not on a HD but on the 1832 cc Honda Rune with 118 hp. If my grip had not held I would have been in a world of hurt.

In the 70's when I was even more stupid. I was at a party and had 22 cans of beer. I did make it home 25 miles away. When I woke up the next morning, I did realize how lucky that I was. Gave up drinking from that day on.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry

1) kicked a rock while riding in my teens, (40+ years ago) Was'nt going very fast and it was a smal rock,m but damn that hurt.
2) stalled my motor going up a ramp into the house. fell over. I was ok but the bike didnt fare well.

Quick Reply: What's the one thing you'll never try again on a bike??