General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation

ok i mounted my plate verticaly. my question is should it be mounted so its facing the bike or away from the bike. With the state near the bike or away.

Here is an pic of what i am talking about. Right now i have my state on the inside. But i have seen pics of it mounted so the state is on the outside. Which way is right?

Attached Thumbnails Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation-license-plate.jpg  

Last edited by pontiac69; 02-23-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think it really matters. Now if it was an American flag that would be a different story.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
sLvRsTrEEtBoB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the laws for your state.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is the same as yours. Not sure if it matters

Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe most states require the plate to be visible from behind the bike. But you need to check your local and state laws.

Also, I was just reading another thread on here tonight about states cracking down on Vertically mounted plates....and heavily ticketing them now. So I'd check that out as well. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

When I had mine mounted vertically, I had it like yours. Like others have said, it's best to check your states requirement. The other thing to consider is this, IF you ride to other states, you may not be in compliance and get ticketed depending on the mood of the officer.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
When I had mine mounted vertically, I had it like yours. Like others have said, it's best to check your states requirement. The other thing to consider is this, IF you ride to other states, you may not be in compliance and get ticketed depending on the mood of the officer.
I your bike is compliant with the vehicle registration and plate display laws in the state in which it is registered, it is compliant throughout the USA... any ticket that you might receive from an uneducated or moody cop would be thrown out.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't know about the laws where you live, but here in MD the plate is required to be horizontal, yet allot of riders do run theirs verically. Guess it comes down to wether or not your state requirements are and if you choose to follow them or not. After all, it's only a ticket and as far as I know, i don't see it being one that could effect your lincense or insurance, it's not a driving violation is it, just a state requirement violation, kinda like exhaust noise laws.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
I your bike is compliant with the vehicle registration and plate display laws in the state in which it is registered, it is compliant throughout the USA... any ticket that you might receive from an uneducated or moody cop would be thrown out.
I don't know if that is 100% true, after all if your bikes registartion if from NC and you are in Daytona, FL for bike week and you get a ticket for the bars being to tall, I do believe you have to pay the fine even though NC has no height limits on bars.
It would seem like a waste of time and funds to have cops ticketing people if the state/county knows that it will more then likely be thrown out.

Quick Reply: Vertical Mount License Plate Correct Orientation