General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LITHIUM battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Question LITHIUM battery?

Came across a full page ad in "Motorcyclist" magazine the other night. It was for lithium motorcycle batteries. www.shoraipower.com

They only offer two sizes and the largest one is a little too small for my '91 FLHS unless I pad the battery box. The terminals also appear to be on the wrong side for my wiring/sidecover, etc.

As well as stating they are more powerful, harder to damage with overcharge/discharge, etc. the weight caught my eye; less than 2 lbs.

Pricewise not much more than most MC batteries at around $180 or so. Question is has anyone used one of these or considered getting one? Are there any other sources besides the above company?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

just found and read this on them.

http://inventorspot.com/motorcycle_builder

interesting read

Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We use lithium batteries in electric RC aircraft, I wouldn't see any benefit on a bike. I can tell you from experience that if they fail, they fail in a fiery mess. We use them on planes for weight, but they don't like to be abused.

I would think you would been to have a charger of some sort built into the battery pack if you're using it on a bike as you can't just run 12V straight to it. They don't like to be charged over voltage.

Last edited by brunswickoh; 02-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My concern would be that Lithium batteries develop a "memory" over time and cannot be fully charged. In addition, they become less efficient at providing consistent power. This is really common in laptop computers that are rarely ran off of the batteries.

In addition, thanks to the way that Lithium batteries are manufactured, if there are impurities in the chemicals used to make up the Lithium compound, which does happen from time to time, the batteries can heat up alot and sometimes "spontaneously" combust.

I'd rather have Nickle Metal-Hydride batteries. They don't develop the memory and are much more stable. They are also light like the Lithium ones are.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I will look into this technology , my hi comp 93" shovel even with a Big ***** 2.2 KV starter will just roll over . Wouldn't begin to crank more than 15 secs even after a round on the charger . Main reason I've still have the kicker I'm 240lbs and can stand on the damn thing , have give a little hump to push it over .

I use a big glass matte battery now .

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

twisted,, why not CR's put or do U have CR's in the heads.?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
My concern would be that Lithium batteries develop a "memory" over time and cannot be fully charged.
They don't!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
twisted,, why not CR's put or do U have CR's in the heads.?

Big inch shovel's because of the high dome combustion chamber and the crap we have for gas really like dual plugs to run right like my bike . I drop a set of plugs the bike get's harder to start spits a lot and acts like I've got a fat girl on the back so CR's are out for me , not enough room to put them in with dual plugs . I'm a touch over 11-1 and huge cam , price I pay for 90 - 91 HP to the wheel .

She hit's on the second kick everytime and it's fun to do that at the poser bar with a boatload of twinkies around . Even better after they have to push start some guys bagger because he had the stereo on to long in front of the bar .

Not knocking people's ride's so put away the flame throwers , just a personal kick for me so to speak .

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
They don't!
Yes they do. I have several laptops, which use lithium batteries that have developed a "memory". And more cell phone lithium batteries than I can count.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
We use lithium batteries in electric RC aircraft, I wouldn't see any benefit on a bike. I can tell you from experience that if they fail, they fail in a fiery mess. We use them on planes for weight, but they don't like to be abused.

I would think you would been to have a charger of some sort built into the battery pack if you're using it on a bike as you can't just run 12V straight to it. They don't like to be charged over voltage.
Ditto! I'd wait until some more safety margins are built in. They don't like being over discharged either. Not something I'm ready to trust in a machine I ride everyday.

Quick Reply: LITHIUM battery?