General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Extended Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley Extended Warrenty?

Is it worth the paper it is written on?

I am in a tight deal on a crossbones as we speak..I dont mind to pay what the guy is askin but i have to get something out of it..weither accessories or a warrenty through Harley.

This is a custom shop and non harley owned. If i ask for an extended warrenty what would it cost him?

IS it worth it..if i change pipes, intake, programmer etc is it going to be well that VOIDED THE WARRENTY type deal?

Should i just shoot for accessories?

by the way bike has 5500 miles

Last edited by asg13; 02-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I have no Idea what a non HD warranty would cover...

Ask the seller the same question U asked here... or just read it ...

HD's warranty is pretty but haven't read of anyone in here that got one outside the walls.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extended warranty

Well, let's see there are over 20,000 members of this forum, so you'll probably get that many opinions. But first, an extended HD warranty is only available through a HD dealership and the current factory warranty must still be in force. As to a 3rd party warranty, some are good and some are not so good. You have to really read the fine print and undestand what is covered and what is not. Also, very important, if your warranty company goes under so does your warranty. With all that said, the decision to get or not to get an extended warranty is a very personal decision, there is no right or wrong. Some people love them, others believe they are a waste of money. I had one on a 01 RK and it saved me a lot of money.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
asg13
Tourer

Originally Posted by fishcop
Well, let's see there are over 20,000 members of this forum, so you'll probably get that many opinions. But first, an extended HD warranty is only available through a HD dealership and the current factory warranty must still be in force. As to a 3rd party warranty, some are good and some are not so good. You have to really read the fine print and undestand what is covered and what is not. Also, very important, if your warranty company goes under so does your warranty. With all that said, the decision to get or not to get an extended warranty is a very personal decision, there is no right or wrong. Some people love them, others believe they are a waste of money. I had one on a 01 RK and it saved me a lot of money.
this is the answer that i was looking for..I wasnt sure if a NON HD shop selling a HARLEY could get an extened warrenty through harley..

thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

And ya gotta read the fine print on those contracts. In there you will find a bunch of certain things you must do as far as maintenance requirements or they will void you. Had one for a past truck and one of the deals was that you had to change trans fluid every 12000 miles which is just crazy and unneccessary. But if ya didnt do it, poof. No claim for any trans issues.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley Extended Warrenty?
No such thing as an extended warranty from H-D. The sales guys use that term to make you think you're getting something you're not.

What H-D sells is an extended service plan ( ESP ). There is a difference between the ESP and the factory warranty. Read the fine print and be aware of what is being offered. ESP actually covers some items that the factory warranty does not.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fugg Harley and their bullshit warranty. Their customer service absolutely sucks and they will try to avoid paying out at almost any cost. In particular, their cost with me was losing me as a future purchaser of brand new Harleys, after having bought three new ones in my life along with owning two others. I will never ever purchase a new Harley again because of their bullshit game-playing regarding warranty and I hope that Harley customer service people read this and know that I am not the only one that has had their mind changed over the past few years. You're going to need to sell new bikes in India.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
ESP actually covers some items that the factory warranty does not.
Such as?

I found that ESP did not cover a couple things like Road Glide fairing door springs and holes worn thru the outer fairing due to the radio bracket.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
Fugg Harley and their bullshit warranty. Their customer service absolutely sucks and they will try to avoid paying out at almost any cost. In particular, their cost with me was losing me as a future purchaser of brand new Harleys, after having bought three new ones in my life along with owning two others. I will never ever purchase a new Harley again because of their bullshit game-playing regarding warranty and I hope that Harley customer service people read this and know that I am not the only one that has had their mind changed over the past few years. You're going to need to sell new bikes in India.
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Consumer Reports Magazine ran an article on extended warranties some years back, and they concluded that "extended warranties were the greatest rip off ever perpetrated on the American consumer."

Look up the definition of perpetrated, folks...it means committed a crime.

I agree, and I've never purchased one and never will.

Quick Reply: Harley Extended Warrenty?