General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
tkorn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it aint primer, far from it.

Primer is what's on your ricer after you add a big spoiler but don't have enough for a paint job.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tkorn
And it aint primer, far from it.

Primer is what's on your ricer after you add a big spoiler but don't have enough for a paint job.
After a talk with the local dealer I was told the Demin is actually Powder Coated and finished with a clear of some sort. Hence maybe the $350.00 extra charge over gloss colors.

Karsten

Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Karsten
After a talk with the local dealer I was told the Demin is actually Powder Coated and finished with a clear of some sort. Hence maybe the $350.00 extra charge over gloss colors.

Karsten
Umm, no. It's just flat paint with a satin clear-coat.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

Originally Posted by SgtSkiddz
Umm, no. It's just flat paint with a satin clear-coat.
Actually its the same black as the standard vivid black with a special clear coat. You could actually wet sand and buff it to a gloss black. Thats why if you have something that rubs on it you will get shiney spots.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Mathews
Banned

Im no autobody tek but when Ive done bace coat clear coat paint jobes the bace color is always flat..

Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by monkey sammich
I kinda like the denim, but I'd like to see something other than black. I'd love to see a maroon or forest green denim.

How bout an Olive Pearl Denim, will that suffice.

I've heard there's some issues with maintaining the paint, but I don't know about that. You won't see me running out to spay any of it on my Ultra,though.

No issues here, I usually just wipe it down. If its real dirty I restort to spraying it with a waterhose then wiping it down.
Love my Denim paint. Easiest paint job I've ever had to take care of.

Attached Thumbnails Black Denim Paint?-dscn1349a.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Michael D.
Stage I
Default Denim Paint Protecton FILM

Motorcycle Armor (www.motorcyclearmor.com) has introduced a matte finish film to protect all denim painted Harley bikes. Invisible. Easy to install. Lifetime warranty. "Repairs" through patented adhesive in film minor scuffs and scratches. Makes your paint look like new.

Here are some images: http://bit.ly/l8izK9

Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeHat
OK, crappy was a bit harsh, didnt mean the finish on the Black Denim bikes was a crap paintjob, just black or grey primer in general. seeing some of the other colors in the denim finish as HD calls it look pretty good. Blue etc. And ive owned alot of bikes since i was 16, never been without one. Will post some pics of my new FatBob (Black) soon. Why would someone waste time on a Forum if they didnt ride?
Ha! I woulda thought this guy was you but he Fat Bob was white. Was out getting a bite when this guy walked in that had OD'd on the HD coolaid. HD bandana, tee, leather vest, leather jacket (draped over his handlebars), and boots. For all I know his jeans were HD too (do they make HD jeans?)

I have my riding boots on, jeans and a tee. No, my boots are not HD. Guy comes in and asks me if that's my green (denim green) bike. Asks me about the pipes, the lettering on the tires, etc. Tells me, "great looking bike". I didn't see him say anything to coolaid. It was a nice shiny white paintjob though. Just sayin'.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! this thread is a half year old. I'm a sucker.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Sekhemempet
Advanced

Originally Posted by monkey sammich
I kinda like the denim, but I'd like to see something other than black. I'd love to see a maroon or forest green denim.

I've heard there's some issues with maintaining the paint, but I don't know about that. You won't see me running out to spay any of it on my Ultra,though.
Well mine's close to maroon. I believe the technical name is "Red Hot Denim." And for the record, I've had plenty of positive comments on my paint color. If someone doesnt like it because it's not "shiney", they can blow it.

Quick Reply: Black Denim Paint?