General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many helmets does one man/woman need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011 | 09:56 AM
Buckinfitch
|
Supporter
Default How many helmets does one man/woman need?

Are helmets like women & shoes, you just can't get enough of them?

Stopped by to visit a riding bud of mine and ended up in his garage putzin' around and I noticed what seemed like a dozen or so motorcycle helmets laying about, not beat up ones either...some with Eagles, some with flames, some with roses and some with dames, etc. etc., some DOT certified and some overseas knockoff crap.
Is it the ..Oh look honey, this helmet doesn't go with my outfit thing?, ,I understand the need for an extra half or full face helmet or a whole family, kids etc. for different sizes but why would one couple need more than 2 helmets each is beyond me?

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:00 AM
Ripsher
Advanced

have 2, one DOT for when i have to ride on military base, one non DOT skid plate to wear off base that is more comfortable

both are just run of the mill black,

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:02 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch

Stopped by to visit a riding bud of mine and ended up in his garage putzin' around and I noticed what seemed like a dozen or so motorcycle helmets laying about, not beat up ones either...some with Eagles, some with flames, some with roses and some with dames, etc. etc., some DOT certified and some overseas knockoff crap.
Is it the ..Oh look honey, this helmet doesn't go with my outfit thing?, ,I understand the need for an extra half or full face helmet or a whole family, kids etc. for different sizes but why would one couple need more than 2 helmets each is beyond me?
Sounds like they have more money than they know what to do with. I personally have never had that problem.

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:04 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

Why didn't you ask them??

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:06 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I have 4 helmets, including one made for snowmobiling.

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:06 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

some people just have a shopping problem

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:09 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

I have three helmets, one full face, one 3/4, and one half. Thats seems to be enough for me.

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:27 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

I have six or seven helmets. I just bought my first full faced one last week so I can ride in the cold weather.

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:39 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

...why would one couple need more than 2 helmets each...
If a man lives long enough, over a lifetime of riding he is likely to purchase many more than just 1 helmet. The foam eventually goes bad, for 1 thing. You trade bikes, and want a matching/complementary color. A FF for winter/rain & a 3/4 for nice weather. A new matching set w built-in intercoms for your new partner. A replacement for the 1 that hit the pavement. A cheap 1 to leave on the bike when parked in an iffy area. A spare. The awareness of discomfort or excess noise sometimes only shows up after many rides, often too late to return/exchange. A new model/color offering needed features/improvements. Some sellers include their helmets when quitting/selling their bikes. A custom-painted 1 might have collector value to someone. Some collect. Some never sell anything. To some, their old helmet from that certain time/relationship/wreck...might have special meaning...

And some are minimalists. And some don't wear helmets.

Old 02-21-2011 | 10:43 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

This could be helments thru time as someone changes bikes and rideing style the need for different helmet would occour. Maybe we should start a helmets for needy bikers club. This would give those who are helmet gifted oppertunity to help those who are helmet deprived.

Quick Reply: How many helmets does one man/woman need?