General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery wire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011 | 01:11 PM
Catfish57
|
Tourer
Default Mystery wire?

While switching out my riser bushings for solid mount bushings the other day. I broke a wire that runs from the riser bolt under the triple tree and attaches to the back side of the triple tree. This wire has been on every Harley that I have had and has been in the way ever time I need to do anything that has to do with handlebar replacement or triple tree work.
The strange part is when I started the bike and road it around, the bike road fine, all the lights, signals, everything seemed tpo work fine. Obviously the wire is there for a reason? But for the life of me I cant figure out why?? Is it some kind of ground wire for lighting? Is it really nessesary? Thanks

Old 02-20-2011 | 01:12 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

If ti is black it is most likely a ground wire.

Drew

Old 02-20-2011 | 01:50 PM
Catfish57
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
If ti is black it is most likely a ground wire.

Drew
I believe your right but not sure what the ground wire is for? Bike seems to run fine without it? Just wondering if it is nessesary.

Last edited by Catfish57; 02-20-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2011 | 01:59 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

It could very well be a 'safety' ground wire. For example, the only thing grounding your lights on the front of your bike to the main frame would be through the bearings, which are grease-filled. Electricity does not run through grease very well so a ground wire has been added. I have found that to be the case with tractors pulling fifth-wheel trailers. Although the fifth wheel plate is grounded to the tractor, the electrical system harness also runs a ground wire to the trailer and sometimes, if the ground between the plate and the tractor is not wrking...and the harness ground is broken, you will have no electrical on the trailers.
But I could be mistaken about the wire on our bikes.

Old 02-20-2011 | 02:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member

it's a ground

Old 02-20-2011 | 02:25 PM
hawwk
Tourer

It grounds the handlebars to the frame because it won't ground through the bushings. Put it back on

Old 02-20-2011 | 03:13 PM
Catfish57
|
Tourer

Thanks everyone. I guess I will have attach it. Its a special wire attached on a washer, so it looks like I will have to go to the stealership and order one, wait six weeks, then remove the riser bolt to put the freeking thing back on and hope I dont break it again because it moves with the bolt when you tighten it, thats how I broke it in the first place. Wanted to avoid putting the thing back on but guess its important, dont want to be stranded somewhere because I didnt want to replace it.

Last edited by Catfish57; 02-20-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2011 | 03:23 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
the only thing grounding your lights on the front of your bike to the main frame would be through the bearings,
And as you turn your lights will flicker and the arching will destroy your bearings

Old 02-20-2011 | 03:30 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master

A wire is a wire. Just go to one of the big box stores and buy a length of wire, strip the ends and wrap it arount the bolt the washers go on and your good to go. Or if you want to add the washers just buy 2 the proper size and solder them to the wire. Or if your really cheap like me just strip the existing wire connect the two and be done with it.

Old 02-20-2011 | 03:54 PM
NickD
Road Master

It's the ground wire to the hidden microphone that's satellite fed right into Willie G's office in Milwaukee. And every time you bad mouth the MOCO he takes note. Ever notice, and wonder why, every time you go to the Stealer things always seem more expensive for you?

Now you know why . . .

Quick Reply: Mystery wire?