General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checkpoints!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default What's next!

What's next?
Seatbelts on Motorcycles?
The trouble with giving the government an inch is that they tend to take 100 miles!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
Well heck, we can do better than that! Outlawing alcohol altogether can be the exact thing that might prevent your doughter, son, wife, grandson/doughter, grandfather/mother, friends, neighbors, aunts/uncles niece/nephew, cats and dogs from being killed.

I always enjoy the funeral.
Get real. Pretty big difference between outlawing alcohol and driving while being impaired by alcohol.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,124 Likes on 22,589 Posts

Around here, where I live, and most places I'd venture to say, check points are only done at night. Why is that I wonder?
I'm guessin' that the police are really only lookin' for DUI's..

One DUI brings in the city and county over $500, and keeps the system rolling and justifies LEOs which is what I believe is really the whole point of it.
___________$ is always the bottom line..isn't it?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
These are not sobriety or drivers license checkpoints, they are motorcycle only and only to write tickets and generate revenue. It’s about being profiled and singled out and ticketed on my way to or from a motorcycle event. Read the article and get the facts and if you’re alright with it I hope you really don’t ride and are just posing… so I take it you have no p[problem being singled out cause you fit a profile and cops or feds grabbing you off the street just to check your papers?
so, what municipalities does motorcycle only checks?
how many of you have been singled out because you're on a motorcycle?
how many have gotten tickets at one of these motorcycle only checkpoints?

since it's easy to hide behind your keyboard and whine - please post the tickets.... not saying we don't believe you, BUT we don't believe you.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator

since it's easy to hide behind your keyboard and whine - please post the tickets.... not saying we don't believe you, BUT we don't believe you.
Do a little search and see what happened around Americade in New York this past year. Motorcycle only check points performed by the state cops, IIRC. Not sure if the staties were assisted by the counties/locals. Many tickets were issued for non-safety items even though the supposed original intent was "THESE ARE SAFETY CHECK POINTS". Look up Georgia while you're at it - motorcycle only checks there, too.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Get real. Pretty big difference between outlawing alcohol and driving while being impaired by alcohol.
Guess you're missing the irony/sarcasm of his statement.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stro1965
Checkpoints have beeb deemed legal by the courts time and time again. Warrantless searches, absent probable cause or consent, are most certainly not legal. A lot of you seem to be confusing the two.
Nope, I don't confuse the two at all. I happen to disagree with the view that the checkpoints are legal, even if the Supreme Court says they are. It isn't like the High Court hasn't ever been wrong, after all.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Nope, I don't confuse the two at all. I happen to disagree with the view that the checkpoints are legal, even if the Supreme Court says they are. It isn't like the High Court hasn't ever been wrong, after all.
Feel free to disagree. Doesn't make you right.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator

2008 Americade, New York. Checkpoints for motorcycles only on Rte 95. I was not ticketed, I was legal.

2009 Americade, New York. Rte 9 (sorry I forget the actual town) Motorcycle only checkpoint. I was not ticketed, I was legal.

2009 North Carolina Rte 40 after OBX Bike Week. Motorcycle only DOT helmet check. I was legal.

2008-2009 Myrtle Beach, South Caorlina. Multiple motorcycle only check points, multiple violations written. I chose to reroute rather than go through the checkpoint.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by larry bart
I have to agree with you but the problem I see hear is they are picking a certain group of people (motorcycles) and I think the Court would have something to say about that.

That's Profiling!
No, it's really not. Profiling is and always has been about RACE and ETHNICITY. In this case, the police are looking for specific violations that relate only to motorcyclists (MC endorsement, DOT helmet, etc...). Makes sense to stop motorcyclists, not cage drivers.

Last edited by stro1965; 02-20-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Checkpoints!