General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checkpoints!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM
mongoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
they are called licence checks and are going on for cars,trucks,bikes here in ga..did you all forget driving is a privilege not a right and you sign consent when you sign for your licence.get over it.
And you people who think the patriot act is going to far i guess you really don't follow what's going on in this world today.it's not the 06's,70's,80's anymore.y'all will be the first ones screaming the govt and intel wasn't doing their job because we got attacked.get with the times.
f. U.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Feel free to disagree. Doesn't make you right.
According to the majority of people, it doesn't make him wrong either.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
According to the majority of people, it doesn't make him wrong either.
And because the majority supports his ideas he must be right? That's OK, I'm used to being in the minority.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

No, it's really not. Profiling is and always has been about RACE and ETHNICITY. In this case, the police are looking for specific violations that relate only to motorcyclists (MC endorsement, DOT helmet, etc...). Makes sense to stop motorcyclists, not cage drivers.
What's so pathetic is, that most LEO's can't or don't seem to be able to shake off the training. They all team up, whether current or retired. You LEO's (most, not all) don't seem to be able to look at it from any other view than how you were trained to as a cop. It's funny that 90% of the people posting in this thread are against this checkpoint garbage and have valid reasons why they're against it, yet 3 out of 4 LEO's have completely ignored their views and reasons and simply stated that they're all wrong and that you just have to be right - because you're the law and just have to know better. I doubt this will open your eyes any, but at least I had to try. Forget the training and 'think' on your own, instead of locking goosestep with what the alphabet soup leaders tell you to think.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

What's so pathetic is, that most LEO's can't or don't seem to be able to shake off the training. They all team up, whether current or retired. You LEO's (most, not all) don't seem to be able to look at it from any other view than how you were trained to as a cop. It's funny that 90% of the people posting in this thread are against this checkpoint garbage and have valid reasons why they're against it, yet 3 out of 4 LEO's have completely ignored their views and reasons and simply stated that they're all wrong and that you just have to be right - because you're the law and just have to know better. I doubt this will open your eyes any, but at least I had to try. Forget the training and 'think' on your own, instead of locking goosestep with what the alphabet soup leaders tell you to think.
And yet another **** Germany reference!

Look, how many times do I need to say this??? Whether or not I agree or disagree with checkpoints is irrelevant. They are currently legal. Are you suggesting that, if I happen to disagree with them, I should refuse to partake and get fired? Or just take a stand and resign on principle?

When you and your friends get the Supreme Court to see things your way I will applaud you for your efforts, it's one less thing I'll need to concern myself with. In the meantime, maybe I'll see you roadside.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Be honest oldairboater...you and pococj could have cut your hair and changed your clothes but you chose not to because you liked the image you projected. That image got you some attention, good and bad.

When a cop has a choice to stop one of two violators, he's going to choose the one more likely to result in something more substantial. Is the guy in the '81 Monte Carlo more likely to have some weed that the lady in the '06 Town & Country mini-van? Maybe not, but the odds says yes.

You drew attention to yourself and a cops human nature took over from there. It's still not profiling, it's police work.
Thank goodness you don't worry about that professional thief in the '06 mini-van, the lady who has brought grief to more people than. more than likely, the guy in the Monte Carlo has with the one joint you might find. Yeah, it's not profiling. Yeah, it's been working wonders. Notice my sarcasm at the end there? Notice how you don't seem to have the ability to see you're wrong? Notice how you're trying to have it both ways? No? Didn't think so.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Just so ya know Stro.. I'm a vet too, and in no way am I advocating the overthrow of anything.. Let's be honest.. in the grand scheme of things, DUI checkpoints most certainly can't be counted as one the most important problems this country faces.. And I'll tell you right now I'd be standing beside you, not across from you as far as defending our country, our flag, and everything it stands for goes.

With that said, I obviously believe that one of the many things that makes America special is our constitution and the freedoms it grants us. Standing up for an individual right granted us by the US Constitution.. as well as not co-operating or not wanting to co-operate with LEO's at DUI stops when things go beyond the intended purpose of that stop, doesn't automatically make you a criminal, nor does it imply one is ready to or even wants to overthrow the government. And let's be honest, just because one chooses a career in law enforcement, that should not in any way give one the power to circumvent the law. You made the point yourself, it's the law of the land.. and it applies to all of us.. across the board regardless of occupation. LEO's need to be impartial and obey the law like the rest of us, and that includes not violating basic constitutional rights.

I won't speak for anyone else but my take is.. I served my country for 12 years in the military, I pay my taxes, I work everyday, I obey the law, I don't ever drink and drive, I don't use drugs, I don't cheat, lie or rip people off.. as such, I absolutely do expect my rights to be respected.. and that includes by Law Enforcement Officers. It goes back what Shiny said.. if I get stopped for a driving related issue.. no problem, I will fully co operate and be as helpful to the officer as possible. But if that stop goes beyond that.. such as vehicle searches, confiscation of legally owned property, and whatever else, I can assure you I'm going to have a very serious issue with that..

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 02-21-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank goodness you don't worry about that professional thief in the '06 mini-van, the lady who has brought grief to more people than. more than likely, the guy in the Monte Carlo has with the one joint you might find. Yeah, it's not profiling. Yeah, it's been working wonders. Notice my sarcasm at the end there? Notice how you don't seem to have the ability to see you're wrong? Notice how you're trying to have it both ways? No? Didn't think so.
You seem to be unable to understand my line of reasoning, no matter how simple I try to make things for you. I'm not going to try to convince you, I'd be wasting my time. Notice the sarcasm?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mavrickFLHR
Just so ya know Stro.. I'm a vet too, and in no way am I advocating the overthrow of anything.. Let's be honest.. in the grand scheme of things, DUI checkpoints most certainly can't be counted as one the most important problems this country faces.. And I'll tell you right now I'd be standing beside you, not across from you as far as defending our country, our flag, and everything it stands for goes.

With that said, I obviously believe that one of the many things that makes America special is our constitution and the freedoms in grants us. Standing up for an individual right granted us by the US Constitution.. as well as not co-operating or not wanting to co-operated with LEO's at DUI stops, doesn't' automatically make you a criminal, nor does it imply one is ready to or even wants to overthrow the government. And let's be honest, just because you choose a career in law enforcement, should not in any way give one the power to circumvent the law. You made the point yourself, it's the law of the land.. and it applies to all of us.. across the board regardless of occupation. LEO's need to be impartial and obey the law like the rest of us.

I won't speak for anyone else but my take is.. I served my country for 12 years in the military, I pay my taxes, I work everyday, I obey the law, I don't ever drink and drive, I don't use drugs, I don't cheat, lie or rip people off.. as such, I absolutely do expect my rights to be respected.. and that includes by Law Enforcement Officers. It goes back what Shiny said.. if I get stopped for a driving related issue.. no problem, I will fully co operate and be as helpful to the officer as possible. But if that stop goes beyond that.. such as vehicle searches, confiscation of legally owned property, and whatever else, I can assure you I'm going to have a very serious issue with that..

Cheers

mavrick
Finally, a post that doesn't **** me off...let's ride!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally, a post that doesn't **** me off...let's ride!
Anywhere and anytime Stro!

Cheers

mavrick

Quick Reply: Checkpoints!