General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alloy wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alloy wheel cleaning

whats the best way of cleaning off the corrosion on fat boy wheels

Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll leave the cleaning tips to the experts but I can sure tell you what NOT to try. Don't spray them with "Spray nine". Turns out those wheels are coated with what seems to be a clearcoat of somesort. That spray nine turned that clear finish to a gooey dull mess.

The corrosion appears to start under the clearcoat finish. I figure to let a "wheel restoration" company handle it. But of course I'll be watching this thread myself to pick up any tips.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the replies will come from the States obviously so 99% of the cleaners wont be available .....

Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert, but I do not believe the MOCO aluminum stock wheels have a protective finish on them....if they did...they would not oxidize. For my UC stock wheels, a couple time a year I use mothers aluminum polish. Its a 'paste' that starts pink and turns black while you polish the aluminum. Takes some elbow grease, but when finished, they are shiny clean....if you want to polish long enough..they will almost look like chrome. However, the shine does not last long espicially if you get caught out in bad weather or if your around the ocean. that my 2 cents....

Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

I used the Mothers on my Dyna wheels, it worked very well. As stated, takes some time and elbow grease, but worth it. If you keep it up say every third wash or so they will maintain the shine.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

How do you get rid of the brake dust? I cleaned my bike for the first time since I bought it last October. I found lots of black specks on the rear wheels that seems impossible to remove. I lightened some but I can still see it.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Laugh if you must but a good safe cleaner for brake dust is the laundry product called "Shout". I mix about 3 parts Shout to one part water. It's very gentle on the metal finishes. A baby bottle brush works wonders with the Shout. The corrosion, most metal polishes/cleaners should help. Always start with the mildest form first.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use Mothers with a powerball,worked for me befor I got mine Chromed !!!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

I find that they seem to corrode and pit more right around the stick-on wheel weights where you can't polish them properly.
I put Dyna Beads in the tires and popped off the wheel weights and they are much easier to polish.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

This may sound brutal but it does work. If aluminum wheels are getting really corroded, you can clean them by sanding them with wet and dry sandpaper, followed by polishing to bring back that chrome like shine. Start with 400 grit, won't take much, then 600 grit and on up. Once you get to 1200 or so you can switch to polish. The sandpaper doesn't remove much material, it just does it much quicker. Once you have have your wheels polished till they look like chrome, there is another step that will keep them looking that way. Google Everbright. It's a coating that it rubbed on and allowed to dry. Honda Goldwing wheels are non coated aluminum and they get really rough looking. I've seen them cleaned and coated with Everbright and a year later they still look like new chrome.

Quick Reply: alloy wheel cleaning