General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alloy wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-e...FZ065Qod7AOPfA

Magic-eraser followed by the nevr-dull polish. They'll look better than new.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

These are the sand cast looking wheels with the machined edges right? If they are, polishing(actually trying to polish) the rough cast centers will not do anything but make them dirtier looking. A stiff brush and maybe an aluminum trailer wash soap will do the trick, then hit the shiny edges with some nevr-dull.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikenator
There is a product over in here in the USA called "Nevr-Dull". It comes in a short blue can. Inside is a large wad of cotten-like material saturated with polish. Once the Aluminum is cleaned of brake/road grime, vigorously rub this on using a circular motion. You'll get a beautiful shine. When done, put a hi-quality paste wax on the metal.
Another good product offered by Harley-Davidson is "Harley Bright Metal Polish". It comes in a large tooth-paste like tube. It squeezes out a thick pink cream. It too works really well and should be available at your local H-D delaer.
I used that stuff on truck tanks and wheels. Some cornstarch on a rag makes short work of getting that black residue off after polishing too!

Mark

Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Chrome Them:

Attached Thumbnails alloy wheel cleaning-johnsbike0051.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
SomeOneQC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Removing, cleaning hard spot on wheel. I've tried Nevr-Dull

There is a product over in here in the USA called "Nevr-Dull". It comes in a short blue can. Inside is a large wad of cotten-like material saturated with polish. Once the Aluminum is cleaned of brake/road grime, vigorously rub this on using a circular motion. You'll get a beautiful shine. When done, put a hi-quality paste wax on the metal.
Thanks ! I'm from Quebec state and found the "Nevr-Dull" at Canadien Tire.
It does a good job, I can't compare to anything else yet.

The only thing, the lack of info with the product, I mean do I have to rob the wad and changing it until it (the wad) doesn't turn dark ?

Anyhow, now what I did is to apply the wad to remove everything, and use a soft cloth to polish, the cloth came black... normal or not ?

Here's some picture.

Attached Thumbnails alloy wheel cleaning-product.jpg   alloy wheel cleaning-wheel_before.jpg   alloy wheel cleaning-wheel_after.jpg   alloy wheel cleaning-wheel_before_after.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My cast wheels on a 90 fxrs-sp look like crap!! but you know what, I don't care. I'm more for the ride than the look. I haven't washed my 95 grand am in ten years. Just don't have time for any detailing to take away from riding time!!! Although I am disappointed in flitze, which I've used on guns, and worked great but on my fork lowers, didn't last more than 8 months. I'm thinking powdercoat about now!

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 03-20-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Another good product offered by Harley-Davidson is "Harley Bright Metal Polish". It comes in a large tooth-paste like tube. It squeezes out a thick pink cream. It too works really well and should be available at your local H-D delaer.
Nevr Dull is also available in the UK & Europe at branches of Hein Gericke - and it works well, stays good for a while. It does take effort, though.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeOneQC
Thanks ! I'm from Quebec state and found the "Nevr-Dull" at Canadien Tire.
It does a good job, I can't compare to anything else yet.

The only thing, the lack of info with the product, I mean do I have to rob the wad and changing it until it (the wad) doesn't turn dark ?

Anyhow, now what I did is to apply the wad to remove everything, and use a soft cloth to polish, the cloth came black... normal or not ?

Here's some picture.
Just tear off a piece of the wad and use it to polish. Finish off with a a clean cloth. The black is the aluminum oxide (rust) that was coating the surface.
A coat of wax will keep them shiny longer.