General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Been Sprayed By a Skunk - While Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Ever Been Sprayed By a Skunk - While Riding?

My wife reminded me of a funny happenstance last year when we almost got sprayed by a skunk on our way into the garage. Just missed us but it still stunk up the yard.

Have any of you guys ever taken a stinky hit while riding?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Strato-S-fear
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1

Have any of you guys ever taken a stinky hit while riding?
Oh yeah

A skunk ran out and committed suicide on my right peg. I was doing 60 and looked back. Saw him go ***-over-teakettle and thought I'd got away clean. About 5 miles up the road I stopped at an intersection and knew immediately I'd been had. Right peg, right boot and pantleg, right saddlebag.

Found out on some documentary that skunks can swivel their odor cannon and are trained from birth that they are 10 foot tall and invincible as long as the odor sack is intact. They're totally fearless.

So: 1 gal lukewarm water; 1 pint hydrogen peroxide; 1 box baking soda; a couple of squirts of dishwasher liquid soap. Mix thoroughly, apply liberally. Scent will be gone by the time the surface is dry.

Regards

Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont have skunks here only in zoo's but theres some obnoxious people arround

Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

In driveway.
Been partially sprayed many times...usually not so much on me, but in the summer.....when they do spray, that mist settles down on the grass. And then one walks through the grass..and now it's on whatever you wore on your feet.

Don't laugh..but one thing that works good...feminine douche water...'cuz of the vinegar.

They can spray a few times...they can get several bursts of spray..and then it quickly dwindles down as their little must sac goes empty...and takes a few days to build up again. They're dang accurate with it too.

A couple of years ago, we were renting an old farmhouse while I was trying to sell my home a few towns over..and then looking in town we're in now to purchase. Had a skunk problem under that house..crawlspace. Skunks were getting in under the front porch. Trapped a few myself and relocated....but they kept coming hard. So called a pro. He caught...ready for this? 18 skunks from under our house! Freaking generations were living under there!

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 02-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
66impala
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, last year while doing the blue ridge parkway. We go off to get a hotel room, it was dark out and a skunk ran right out in front of me, only had time to brake some what. I got him with both wheels, he didnt fare as well as I did. Next morning at the hotel I hear from people in the parking lot that they can smell skunk real bad. I just laughed it off and went on my way.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a guy that hit a porcupine with his road king while pulling a trailer......the trailer tire had quills all over the sidewall. Drew some attention at the gas station.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

I got 2 staying under my building where my bike is stored. Dang things won't come out in the daylight. Its a long walk from the building to the house in the dark. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I try to block there entrance off I'll get sprayed while doing it. I know this is not a answer for the question the OP asked but thought some might find it comical or have some advice for getting rid of them.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat

Don't laugh..but one thing that works good...feminine douche water...'cuz of the vinegar.

I knew that stuff was strong ..... but ..... DAYUM !!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About 5 years ago, me and two other buddies were riding through a wooded area at night. We were staggared and I was in the middle, when I saw the tail light from the guy in front of me swerve hard to my side of the lane. Then I saw the skunk come into my headlight in the road, so I swerved to miss it, then I tried to watch the guy in back in my mirror, but couldn't tell much about what happened back there. We pulled over a few hundred yards up the road and my buddy up front was clean, I was clean, the guy in the back caught the stink along his left side starting at his knee and ending up at his waist. Got the bike too along the side of the tank and down the left side of the back tire. We made him ride in the back for the rest of the way to his house, and I swear that for the next several months, everytime I rode with him I would get wiffs of that skunk. I think he smelled it too because he ended up trading the bike off.

Of course, this one of my favorite riding stories, probably wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I would have been the one to get skunked.

Mike

Last edited by mike5380; 02-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

No,,, not even while standing...

Quick Reply: Ever Been Sprayed By a Skunk - While Riding?