General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Been Sprayed By a Skunk - While Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

While I've not had "The Pleasure" . . . over the years my supposedly smart Border Collie still can't figure this one out. So I periodically have to apply the following formula. I've not found anything else that works, even remotely, but this solution actually get's rid of 99.99% of the smell every time.

I would assume that it'd work on a bike as well. BUT, remember that Hydrogen Peroxide is how many ladies get that "Natural" Bottle Blond look. So if there is anything on the bike that might get lightened in color . . . this will probably do it ever so slightly. Not sure what effect it'd have on leather.

Recipe for De-Skunk smelling the Dog:

QTY ITEM .
1 Quart Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Dish Detergent

1.) Mix the above
2.) Soak the dog thoroughly and let stand 10 Minutes
3.) Rinse

CAUTION: DO NOT GET IN EYES

Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Don't laugh..but one thing that works good...feminine douche water...'cuz of the vinegar.
Ok everybody wants to know what chick you know who has such a smelly cooter that you thought of "douche water" when you got sprayed by a skunk.... just sayin

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
loverofBIGtwins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wasnt sprayed while riding but i did get sprayed right before riding haha i thought at first i had been missed until i heard people talking about the skunk smell, o well just glad it didnt get on the bike!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit one a long time back on an old metric I owned. Me and a buddy went for a beer run. On the way back, he yells SKUNK from his bike. He missed, I hit. Didnt get on me but sure made the bike smell real bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Not while riding but when I was a kid I had taken the trash out to our burn barrel and lit it up.
About 5 seconds later this really pissed off skunk jumps out of the barrel and onto the rim of it, sprayed me right in the chest from less than 5 feet away.
I took off my shirt and threw it in too..........didn't figure it was worth trying to save.
Took a week of tomato and vinegar baths to get rid of the smell.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Lucky so far, never by a skunk, but sprayed by a woodchuck. That is.........mostly the bloody entrails all over the side of my bike (and my boot) after the front wheel got him. Had to stop at a DIY car wash before it got baked on.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
I got 2 staying under my building where my bike is stored. Dang things won't come out in the daylight. Its a long walk from the building to the house in the dark. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I try to block there entrance off I'll get sprayed while doing it. I know this is not a answer for the question the OP asked but thought some might find it comical or have some advice for getting rid of them.
If it's only 2...(could be more..I sure learned there can be more than you think)...you can shop online for a hav-a-heart trap. Bait it with some jelly...like blueberry or strawberry. Once you catch it...you may have local laws stating what you can do with them (usually very limited)...toss a big (old) bed sheet or something over the trap to blind and calm the thing. Also blocks the spray is it decides to. Release far far away. I towed the thing in a utility trailer I had. Release them very far away...they can travel a couple of miles and easily find their way back home to you in a day or two.

Once you think you've caught and trapped the last one....stuff some loose things in the hole they've dug to get under the foundation. Just loosely stuff it..leaves, tall grass, a few twigs, etc. If one is still going in and out at night..that hole will be cleared. If it doesn't appear used anymore..fill it in very well and pack it good.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Ok everybody wants to know what chick you know who has such a smelly cooter that you thought of "douche water" when you got sprayed by a skunk.... just sayin

LMFAO! Well...there was one. Hey..we've all gone "hoggin" at least once!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
LMFAO! Well...there was one. Hey..we've all gone "hoggin" at least once!
Not me not never.... well.....there was one time.....

Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankfuly, not yet....

Quick Reply: Ever Been Sprayed By a Skunk - While Riding?