General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It WAS a nice day for a ride........

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
mosendero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It WAS a nice day for a ride........

First trip out of the year, the snow drift in front of my garage door was gone so hopped on and rode over to a buddys house for a bit. Asked the wifey jokingly if she had the insurance paid up on the bike. Left buds house, rural blacktop, didn't even get up to speed and a damn herd of deer decide to end my ride.
Killed the one I hit, bike went down on right side, I slid flopped and rolled for about 60-70 feet, THANK GOD I had my chaps and heavy leather coat on as well a a pair of gloves. The bike slid a lot further than I did close to 150 ft.

My only injury was a pinky finger that wore thru a glove and lost half the fingernail and a few bumps and bruises scattered about my 42 y/o carcass.

Buddy showed up and we drug the bike up outta the ditch, stood it up, fired it up and slowly rode the bent beast back to his shop after I called the wife and the insurance company.

I feel very lucky the wife wasn't with me and I am not much worse than before the wreck, leather works, that is for sure.

Could anybody give me pointers or experiences with dealing with the insurance adjuster to get this repaired the way it should be, or tips you all my have.

I will pop some pics here later.
Thanks

Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Dang deer!!! Over the years of riding I've been in 2 accidents. I have State Farm and didn't have any problems getting the bikes fixed. Glad you are OK and good luck......

Trucky911

Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Glad you're ok. Deer suck!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you had no injuries! Bike can be fixed, but since I haven't had an accident on mine to report to insurance, not certain how they will handle it. It depends on the type of damage. If it is the frame, they will want to total it, which is their usual response to a damaged frame.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:28 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to hear about the wreck but at least you are alright!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM
mosendero
Cruiser

Thanks for the well wishes. Local indy thinks it total out.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad your not totaled, you had a memorial ride for sure. Poor bike.
A herd! Last year I had what I thought was a deer in the road at night and I got closer and it was actually two and they went in differnt directions? I aimed for the middle and they both got out of the way.
I see plenty of deer and have been lucky there it's people driving cars that really scare me. I got cut off yesterday twice on my first ride of the season.
two years ago I had to eat pavement or get really banged up as a driver was not paying attention and cut my path.
The police said I was lucky as they usually don't talk to the victim in those kind of accidents. I called my insurance and a they handled it with the dealer.
They didn't total my bike but should of as it took 3 months to get it back and lost a good riding season. Maybe you'll be riding a new on soon.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Sorry to read about your troubles, brother.

I am always concerned about deer in my neck of the woods. They are freakin vermin...and good eats. I hope you managed to get some venison out of the ordeal and maybe a hide for you tank bib and maybe a fender bib as a trophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s&sns=em

Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I glad you're OK. Deer scare me.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Ockam
Sorry to read about your troubles, brother.

I am always concerned about deer in my neck of the woods. They are freakin vermin...and good eats. I hope you managed to get some venison out of the ordeal and maybe a hide for you tank bib and maybe a fender bib as a trophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9xCWphV8s&sns=em

Bad part is deer skin is too thin IMO, for good bike leather makings.
Still thats sucks.

Quick Reply: It WAS a nice day for a ride........