Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Ride Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Group Ride Etiquette

I rode to Blue Springs, Mo. today, to watch my daughter race in a BMX (bicycle moto-cross event.....btw, she showed the class of (-Intermediate boys how to WIN a race)......

Anyway, I took a secondary highway back home, and on a two lane stretch of it, I came upon a group of about 14 Harleys, riding a staggered formation in the right lane. The leader (or at least the guy at the head of the pack was probably 20 bike lengths out in front, and did NOT have anybody staggered off of him).

I was moving past them in the left lane, just a bit faster than they were moving, when Some jackazz in a cage, decided that he wanted to get a close up view of my license plate. Rather than impede his obviously important trip, I signalled right, and moved into the right lane, where I then took up a staggered position off of the previously mentioned leader. I rode with them for probably the next 10 miles or so, until they as a group turned off.

Nobody shot me any dirty looks, and the other guys maintained a staggered formation around me, so I really don't think I ruffled any feathers.....but, out of curiosity, it is considered an intrusion, to join a formation you were not originally a part of? I guess I am asking, because I jumped in right at the lead of it, and didn't tack on to the tail end.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:42 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Group Ride Etiquette

Could not say. I would have probably gone past them when I could, but real riders don't mind too much. You seemingly did not make it look like you were trying to usurp the rest, but no one knows how people take things until you talk to them. Kinda like the internet. If you do not display the emotion intended, how does one guess.

...oh, and

Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,275 Likes on 479 Posts

It's generally not considered proper to join a formation, especially in the middle of it. Tagging along behind is usually OK under most circumstances. But given the circumstances you describe, tucking in behind a leader who was way out front of the group was pretty much the safest thing you could do. If possible it might've been better to safely leave their formation at the first opportunity. In this case, there didn't seem to be a problem - no harm, no foul.

A ride leader should never let the group fall back 20 lengths. That's an invitation for an idiot cager to dive into the formation. Sounds like that leader either didn't have it together, or his group needed a spanking.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not know about the "etiquette" part of it but for safety sake, fourteen riders on a two lane road should allow for others, bike or cage, to not be able to pass the whole group at once. What you did is correct. I would not have stayed in the group if I had a chance to pass and get out front.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

I wouldnt woory aboout it. Do what you got a do.[8D]

Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I was just curious that should a similar situation come up (or, if I just happen to come up behind a formation), if I am committing some sort of tabboo by joining in.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this identical thing come up today. Our group of 21 bikes was riding a two lane road going to lunch in the mountains. Several times rice bikes moving faster than us had to come around us parts at a time. Since our group rides pretty much on a monthly basis, we all just moved and made room for the bikes, then they moved on when the chance came.
Other times we've all moved to the right side of the lane to let the ricers come through when there is no passing for a long time. Just common courtesy but it must be done carefully and the group has to be aware of what is happening.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You are probably fine due to circumstances ........I wouldn't break into anyones formation unless I had to.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
nidan
Road Warrior

I'd agree the leader shouldn't be more than 6 seconds ahead of the pack. If you have to duck into formation for safety as long as you do so safely and exit at the first safe opportunity , riders will understand. They likely will have seen the reason if they were paying attention (shich they should be) Outside of that necessity , I'd not break into a formation.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I think most of the posters were correct. You did what you had to do to get a cager off your azz. I probably would have passed the leader asap safely, thrown him a jaunty wave and moved on out ahead of the group by a 1/4 mile or so then slowed back to cruising speed. As stated, good alert riders knew why you jumped in but were probably puzzled as to why you stayed in for 10 miles. Just my .02

Bubba

Quick Reply: Group Ride Etiquette