Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Ride Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM
AggieFan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Group Ride Etiquette

I think it depends on who's formation your bustin into. The local HOG chapter I wouldn't think twice, but a 1%er group your best bet is to gas it to the front of the formation and don't test the waters.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id say with that big a group it was a intrusion in a way, I would have done the same thing till the car passed and then went on around and on my way. The only way I would tag along with a group Im not part of would be as the last bike and a couple of car lenths back.
ORIGINAL: New2Harley

I rode to Blue Springs, Mo. today, to watch my daughter race in a BMX (bicycle moto-cross event.....btw, she showed the class of (-Intermediate boys how to WIN a race)......

Anyway, I took a secondary highway back home, and on a two lane stretch of it, I came upon a group of about 14 Harleys, riding a staggered formation in the right lane. The leader (or at least the guy at the head of the pack was probably 20 bike lengths out in front, and did NOT have anybody staggered off of him).

I was moving past them in the left lane, just a bit faster than they were moving, when Some jackazz in a cage, decided that he wanted to get a close up view of my license plate. Rather than impede his obviously important trip, I signalled right, and moved into the right lane, where I then took up a staggered position off of the previously mentioned leader. I rode with them for probably the next 10 miles or so, until they as a group turned off.

Nobody shot me any dirty looks, and the other guys maintained a staggered formation around me, so I really don't think I ruffled any feathers.....but, out of curiosity, it is considered an intrusion, to join a formation you were not originally a part of? I guess I am asking, because I jumped in right at the lead of it, and didn't tack on to the tail end.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: AggieFan

I think it depends on who's formation your bustin into. The local HOG chapter I wouldn't think twice, but a 1%er group your best bet is to gas it to the front of the formation and don't test the waters.
Oh, believe me..Had I the slightest inkling that I was busting into a OMC formation, I would have just hammered it and gone by.

Truth be told, had it been an OMC formation, I probably never would have tried to pass them to begin with!

Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

ORIGINAL: AggieFan

Oh, believe me..Had I the slightest inkling that I was busting into a OMC formation, I would have just hammered it and gone by.

Truth be told, had it been an OMC formation, I probably never would have tried to pass them to begin with!
That would've been my thought..."Should I risk death from the idiot cager behind me, or by the HA group to my right by getting in the way?"

Actually that brings me to another question, has anyone ridden with a OMC? They have a Florence ride here every year sponsored by the HAMC, and I thought it would be interesting to go this year. I was just curious if they all ride in one group, or spread out in the ride?

N2H, I think you were fine, no harm, no foul.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK , I belong to one of those so called 1% clubs ...outlaw , whatever. I can only speak for our club but..... What you did was fine , in fact if you had to make several hops in the formation thats fine, room would be made to let you in. If you decided to hang with us , fine as long as you know how to ride , just jump in , no problems. We would rather have you in the pack than behind and just hanging back there , that tends to make clubs nervous. Stay back there long enough and you can expect company just to check in on you

Old 10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

OK , I belong to one of those so called 1% clubs ...outlaw , whatever. I can only speak for our club but..... What you did was fine , in fact if you had to make several hops in the formation thats fine, room would be made to let you in. If you decided to hang with us , fine as long as you know how to ride , just jump in , no problems. We would rather have you in the pack than behind and just hanging back there , that tends to make clubs nervous. Stay back there long enough and you can expect company just to check in on you

That's right.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all for the answers. I guess I am not so worried about what I did, but was more curious about joining into existing groups in the future. I would Never consider the idea of jumping into what is an obvious club, as that would be an unwanted intrusion.

Primarily, for future reference I was wondering if there was some unwritten rule about joining up with a group you were not originally a part of. Hey......the new Harley Commercial makes it appear to be okay!!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 AM
deuce dude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would have done the same but then broke formation with them asap. they are used to riding together and know what each other will do in formation.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you were at the lead of the pack when you had to pull in, I don't see a problem