General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

This is not meant to turn into some ugly argument (though it probably will...nature of internet forums) but rather something to spark some thought and discussion on the subject.

I'm new to riding and still am learning a lot about "the lifestyle". I have seemed to notice though that there is a certain culture surrounding those that own Harleys. While other types and brands of motorcycles have their own "groups" of riders bonded by their machines it seems like, with Harley, this bond is much bigger, much stronger, and much more ingrained into owners than any other.

I'm wondering why? Then I read this in another discussion:

Originally Posted by schumacher
I was raised around 70's bikers (both my father and uncle rode), and the one thing they taught me was the brotherhood was about the man, not the machine. I'll continue doing what i was taught by those boys back in the 70's, whether it's still popular or not.
And that got me to thinking...is this perception I have of only Harley owners having this increadibly huge subculture as part of the "Harley Experiance" a manifistation of the old days or is it just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley? Is it that Harley owners, by their very nature of wishing to own a machine that is more "heritage" and "tradition" than "cutting edge" in design and form already predisposed to The Lifestyle because, it too, is about heritage and tradition? Do younger sport bike riders have different priorities and thus tend not to identify with the "Lifestyle" and is this one of the reasons why they choose the type of bike they do? Are those that ride many different brands and types of motorcycles closer to living the lifestyle than someone who looks down on someone who rides a different brand of motorcycle since they have more in common with those that came before because the "lifestyle" wasn't about what you rode but rather that your rode?

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this because I'm incapable of answering the question for myself. I can think on my own, thank you. Rather, I'd like to hear what others have to say and open myself up to other opinions since I'm still getting educated on all the different aspects of riding.

Last edited by Robotech; 02-18-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about "lifestyle" I love riding a motorcycle. Yeah I like working in my yard, swinging a golf club now and again, cooking, especially for friends of which there are two primary groups, NamVets and bike riders some of whom do both. They are both shared experiences. I don't care what they ride or where they served we are brothers and sisters because of what we have or do share. We are comfortable around each other and know what covering each others back means. I think it was Joe Galloway who said "in the end they fought not for their flag or their country but for each other" and that is a lifestyle.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth; for me Biker Culture is what you described. Its not dependent on the make of the motorcycle. Back in the day (whatever that was) there was less stigma associated with what you rode. Lots of Brit bikes, custom Honda 750 choppers, etc.... Within the bike cultures there all kinds of differents niches and unfortunately too many people that need to put others down to feel better about what they do. That show on now about cafe racers shows one aspect of the Biker Culture. There's some pretty cool bikes being built by those Rockers.

HD Culture; in part developed due to some MCs requiring American made iron. MoCo, not being stupid, expoited this. HD Culture is a marketing phenomenom.

Bones.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to ride, I like to hang out with other people who like to ride..... um, what was the question?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the perception of most non HD riders imagine HD riders feel they are better because of the bike they ride.
I could care less what another chooses as long as they don't try to give me crap for my choice. Teasing is different and I'll play along too.
For myself, the bike doesn't make me any better than anyone else.

Snobs, I think many of have met some no matter what they're riding.
Its not an exclusive party.
I've been riding since the early 70s and on a Harley since 86.
Just happy to still be riding.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

OH BOY! Another "What's a real biker thread"

Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I look in the mirror and see an old Tattooed guy with a lot of miles.
A guy that has had two wheels longer than half his life.
a guy with a daughter
a guy with more tears than smiles
a guy with a laugh for no reason
a guy that has seen **** I hope others never see
just an older guy looking back
like my sig states

Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the lifestyle was formed by serving in the military. Veterans upon leaving active duty missed the "brotherhood" & close friendships that combat had forged among them. Surplus motorcycles were cheap, and the rest is history. Yes there are different opinions pertaining to brand loyality and I believe that is simply personal preferences. I have ridden metric bikes in my youth, but I do not know why I fell in love with Harleys. Could it have been the classic look of the FLH? The sound of the engine? Perhaps some day I'll figure it out... For now I'll enjoy the friends & comrads that I have met over the years and cherish fond memories when I reach that point in my life where I will not be able to ride any more.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
For what its worth; for me Biker Culture is what you described. Its not dependent on the make of the motorcycle. Back in the day (whatever that was) there was less stigma associated with what you rode. Lots of Brit bikes, custom Honda 750 choppers, etc.... Within the bike cultures there all kinds of differents niches and unfortunately too many people that need to put others down to feel better about what they do. That show on now about cafe racers shows one aspect of the Biker Culture. There's some pretty cool bikes being built by those Rockers.

HD Culture; in part developed due to some MCs requiring American made iron. MoCo, not being stupid, expoited this. HD Culture is a marketing phenomenom.

Bones.
Pretty good explanation.

I'd add that the off-road/motocross riders are their own group, sportbike riders have a bond as well.
Some people need to realize that we all have a common interests on issues such as noise regulation, helmet laws, registration etc.
Why do some people ostracize others when we should be joining with them as allies.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a bunch of hell bent individuals that hear the call of the open road and love the roar of their Harley's.

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?