Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
For one thing, lose the lifestyle word, especially in quotations and capitalized. It means different things to different riders, depending on generation, experience and bike preference.
Which is why it's in quotes and capitalized...

The term, in quotes, is a placeholder for whatever all this is that is beign discussed...I used that and, so it seems, most people understood what it was I was referring to. I don't place much weight on the label.

I do what I do...whether it comes to riding or trying to make a drag car out of a FWD 4-door sedan or they way I live my life. Nothing is changing that and I'm perfectly secure in that. For those that somehow have come to think that this discussion is me somehow trying to define or defend who I am have wildly missed the mark.

For those that have responded and understood the general spirit of the discussion and added to it appropriately.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nobody I know "feels better than anyone else" because they own and ride a Harley. I'm sure a few do, but they're not my friend, that's for sure. Most everyone understands that the biker culture is pretty rare these days. For one thing, throw a patch on your back, no matter what it is, you'll get treated like a street gang member from *insert city* almost any where you go. That has a lot to do with it, for sure. The Harley "culture" including 98% of all those moronic "rallies" are a product of some marketing team, and not just one, hundreds, if not thousands - basically anyone trying to cash in on it.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

IMO, it's not a "brand culture" but a biker culture. Bikers in general, simply enjoy the ride and the comaraderie with like-minded individuals. We understand each other and our love for riding and give each other "the wave" in acknowledgement. There are subcultures with bikers based on our individual personalities, and we represent ourselves in the bikes we chose to ride. Certain brands just represent US better. Are Harley owners different from Honda, Kawasaki, Victory, or Ducati owners? Yes, but so what? It's no different than Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, etc for cars. We choose what we feel most comfortable with and can identify with. I can get a good idea of a persons personality by the "type" of bike/car they own and by the way they ride/drive them, not by the manufacturer of the vehicle. I do think, though, that Harley owners are more social and like to get together with others more than other brand owners. Part of that may also be to see what mods have been done - because, other brands just can't be customized and made uniquely yours like a Harley.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 PM
jmalmsteen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who owns a Harley but rides a sport bike (Yamaha FZ-09), I ride my FZ because I have a love for riding that comes above my love for Harleys. I can't ride my Harley. I'm too small and it's too big. I get no joy out of riding it. I do love Harleys, but you won't find me on one.
My dad rode Harleys and Indians. How could I want anything else??
-Jen

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The forum software should give a warning alerting the person when they are about to revive a thread that's more than a year old.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
The forum software should give a warning alerting the person when they are about to revive a thread that's more than a year old.
Yes, I agree. Some threads are worth resurrecting. Not this one.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-e
I like to ride, I like to hang out with other people who like to ride..... um, what was the question?
The question is the answer. I enjoy getting together with a couple of friends for a Sunday ride, we all trust each other and enjoy the ride... isn't that the way it's supposed to be or am I missing something?

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I like riding motorcycle but don't care for any of the culture. I'm just a farm boy that has a bike in the barn that I ride when I feel like it. I don't dress up like a biker, go to rallies, or anything like that. I really don't hang out with other riders either. I just like to ride but the rest of it I don't care much about. I've always been rather seclusive so it's just me and nothing against anybody. I prefer living back in the woods where nobody can see my house and having privacy. I guess when I ride I like to have privacy as well. I just do what I wanna do. I might take off to a john deere tractor show on my bike while other riders are heading to a bike rally

Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 AM
lowrider1499
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I pooped yesterday and hope I do again soon.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:01 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
OH BOY! Another "What's a real biker thread"
Nail, meet hammer!

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?