Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bee nriding since I was 13. i was raised in military family that moved every year. I learned to make friends fast but not to make any lasting friends. In my senior years, I can afford,and have bought Harley because I want an americasn made bike. That lead me to my dealer who mentioned HOG. I was greeted warrmly and invited to join a group that just likes to get out for some fun rides every weekend. Hell, I now know my Harley friends better than my neighbors or anyone i go to church with. They have become an extended family,where there is honor and respect. We enjoy each others company and we are now 200 strong, just in my area. I am friends with doctors,lawyers, electricians,cops, business owners,land barons, ranchers,health profeesionlas and retirees. We laugh love and ride. I believe this might be just a harley thing, but much of it parallels the same as 1% have in thier lifestyle, other than we aren't looking for or engaging in any harmful activities. I think we are too old for that. But trust me, none in our group esposes to be a 1%, there needs are met with what we do and it is managed by volunteers who care about HOG. In my years, I have met a few 1%ers and even attempted to pledge for one in my youth. Most respect anyone as long as you don't step into there busuiness, and they have always said it is about respect for thier brotherhood. Well, HOG doesn't make a blood oath, but they sure like to ride like those that do. For me its not likely I will ride anything but my Harley, until I can't ride anthing anymore Thats my choice. And now my children are involved and riding harleys with me. What a great life I have.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM
ironman2011
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that WAY too much is put into this subject. The world is full of individuals, all different. That will never change. You'll meet people you like and connect with for whatever reason and you will meet people that you can't stand or don't understand. This too, will never change. It's simple... JUST RIDE.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
This is not meant to turn into some ugly argument (though it probably will...nature of internet forums) but rather something to spark some thought and discussion on the subject.

I'm new to riding and still am learning a lot about "the lifestyle". I have seemed to notice though that there is a certain culture surrounding those that own Harleys. While other types and brands of motorcycles have their own "groups" of riders bonded by their machines it seems like, with Harley, this bond is much bigger, much stronger, and much more ingrained into owners than any other.

I'm wondering why? Then I read this in another discussion:

And that got me to thinking...is this perception I have of only Harley owners having this increadibly huge subculture as part of the "Harley Experiance" a manifistation of the old days or is it just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley? Is it that Harley owners, by their very nature of wishing to own a machine that is more "heritage" and "tradition" than "cutting edge" in design and form already predisposed to The Lifestyle because, it too, is about heritage and tradition? Do younger sport bike riders have different priorities and thus tend not to identify with the "Lifestyle" and is this one of the reasons why they choose the type of bike they do? Are those that ride many different brands and types of motorcycles closer to living the lifestyle than someone who looks down on someone who rides a different brand of motorcycle since they have more in common with those that came before because the "lifestyle" wasn't about what you rode but rather that your rode?

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this because I'm incapable of answering the question for myself. I can think on my own, thank you. Rather, I'd like to hear what others have to say and open myself up to other opinions since I'm still getting educated on all the different aspects of riding.
For one thing, lose the lifestyle word, especially in quotations and capitalized. It means different things to different riders, depending on generation, experience and bike preference. Just ride what you want, enjoy what you ride, enjoy yourself, and shut TFU

Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Indian Thunderheart
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Robotech

just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley?
This is exactly why I bought an Indian Chief. Not that I dont like Harleys, not that I think they are a bunch of idiots either, but because lots of Harley owners needed instant friends so they bought into this idea. I went to buy one a year ago and the top salesman speech was if you cross another Harley that is broken down, the Harley guys will always stop for you. If its anything but a Harley they won't. Turned me right off of their marketing strategy, which turned me off buying a Harley. I always liked Harleys, and always will but their way to Reel-in the buyer is more of a way to Gang-up on those who dont own Harleys. So what did I do? I went over the top and bought a better more prestigous bike. I always loved Indians. I've witnessed lots of Harley owners bashing Jap bikes. Heck, Ive even heard the local bike club wanted to do a corn roast and toss a Jap bike into the fire! When I had my 1500 Kawasaki Vulcan the Harley owners never talked to me on the same level. Now when I show up with the hottest, biggest bike around, my Indian Chief deluxe fully decked out, Ive become somewhat of an urban legend amongst them. They constantly boost my ego. Not Kidding! With that said, Ive seen and heard MUCH jealousy talk and shifty eyes showing envy. As for me, I can affort 2 harleys at any time of the day. But when I saw how most of these Harley peole are, (not the knowledgeable ones with a history of years knowing about bikes and models but rather the RUBs The newbies.) I gave up on buying into their false comeradery. I retired from 25 years in the army, and I know what REAL comeradery is. I say the guys in the 60-s and 70s had their idea right. The Jap bikes were small and were not copying anyone at the time, Brit bikes were big and harleys were monsterous American Iron. Indian had died out in 53 so they didnt make the team, but instead they became a Legend amongst the 60-s and 70s crowd. Ive even had long time Harley owners ask me if my bike was made by Kawasaki (Drifter). If I ever buy a Harley its for one reason only. Its so I can go to bike meets and instantly blend in with the crowd rather than be ridiculed. With a Jap bike, Id wind up in the hurt locker defending a mote point, and maybe with the Indian also. Hey good luck with your post.

Attached Thumbnails Biker Culture or Harley Culture?-indiandad.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Hd was asked by Milwaukee some years ago about having a yearly "anniversary" celebration. HD did not do it figgered that Too much of a good thing was detrimental. So the MoCo decided on 5 years. Part of the 105Th celebration was the 25th anniversary of HOG here are some pictures of the parking lots at Miller Park where the HOGfest was held Sort of like the Hoot? All of the lots were filled like this no clue how many bikes were there. As an aside, of all the riders I have met while riding I have found that the rudest and most snobbish are the ones who ride Goldwings. Just an observance
I was still into cars at the time of the 100th anniversary, I had a '68 Chrysler 300 that I'd driven from Detroit back to Milwaukee to visit my parents over Labor Day weekend. I remember cruising around and seeing every public park in the surrounding Milwaukee area filled with motorcycles there for the anniversary. It was incredible. I thought the official number came back as something like 150,000 people at the summerfest grounds alone, and the parade of 10,000 bikes.

I also remember driving home to Detroit on Monday, and it was a downpour for almost the whole drive. Every freeway overpass had bikes parked under it trying to get out of the weather.

Personally, most of the guys I know with BMW bikes (especially the adventure series...) are ****** compared to the rest of my friends, but that may be the exception, not the norm.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I guess I'll add a few thoughts:

There have always been jerks. Sometimes jerks buy bikes and make everybody else look bad. I suggest jsut ignore them.

Harley is in the good shape it's in due to outstanding marketing. They are selling patriotism.

Personally, I don't care what you ride. I like Harleys. I have owned and built others, but I jsut prefer the Harley.

Some of the things I don't care for, and think it has caused the price of bieks and parts to be way too high, but that's jsut he way it is.

I'd suggest to all....to just enjoy the bike you have, and ride safe.

~Joe

Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 410 Posts

Been riding 30+ years and still don't know what "lifestyle" means. It's just a damn motorcycle.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
I was still into cars at the time of the 100th anniversary, I had a '68 Chrysler 300 that I'd driven from Detroit back to Milwaukee to visit my parents over Labor Day weekend. I remember cruising around and seeing every public park in the surrounding Milwaukee area filled with motorcycles there for the anniversary. It was incredible. I thought the official number came back as something like 150,000 people at the summerfest grounds alone, and the parade of 10,000 bikes.

I also remember driving home to Detroit on Monday, and it was a downpour for almost the whole drive. Every freeway overpass had bikes parked under it trying to get out of the weather.

Personally, most of the guys I know with BMW bikes (especially the adventure series...) are ****** compared to the rest of my friends, but that may be the exception, not the norm.
I helped with the parking at Summerfest grounds for those in the parade, that is an invite only thing, (the parade) can you imagine what it would have been like if it was open to any riders. I had a 66 300K (at least think it was a 66) when i got out of the service in 71. Great car 383 w/ a 4bbl, torqueflite power everything. Kinda wish I still had it

Old 02-20-2011, 03:41 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Been riding 30+ years and still don't know what "lifestyle" means. It's just a damn motorcycle.
I absolutely agree with this...and the fella that stated shut TFU and ride. It sounds like a good club slogan doesn't it(smile).

Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
I helped with the parking at Summerfest grounds for those in the parade, that is an invite only thing, (the parade) can you imagine what it would have been like if it was open to any riders. I had a 66 300K (at least think it was a 66) when i got out of the service in 71. Great car 383 w/ a 4bbl, torqueflite power everything. Kinda wish I still had it
Nice! I didn't realize it was invite only. You're not kidding, it would be even more of a spectacle if anybody could ride in it. I still have some articles I cut out of the Journal/Sentinel from it, with a picture of the parade in particular.

Mopar really had their stuff together back then, especially with powertrains. I've had that 300, a '67 Imperial, and a '68 Charger R/T. The Imperial was my favorite of the three, I drove it for a couple years in high school. It was like riding on a cloud. Their big blocks were pretty solid, too, and I never had an issue with their automatics. That '66 had to be pretty sweet!

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?