General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011 | 06:05 AM
1shaka
Cruiser
Default lifestyle

I think the common thread here is the people, not the machine. Most would ride with anyone. We group with people of the same interests, location or history. People I ride with would help each other not matter what type of bike they ride. Sure there are the jokes of not only each others bikes, but of each other; yet there would be no hesitaion to help that person out.
The reason one ride a particular machine is a combination of likes, lifestyle, economics and personal choice, so who can refute that if your circumstances and priorities are not the same.

Old 02-19-2011 | 06:22 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

I personally dont care what you ride, how old you are, how much your bike cost, or if u have an old flannel jacket on or a $500 harley jacket. There is a group I ride with that is as varied as you can get, we ride:
2010 SG, 1987 Kaw Ninja, 2007 Honda Shadow, 1978 Yam 650, 2005 Yam V-Star, 1994 Heritage.
We range in age from 22-59. I just dont care as long as you have a passion to ride. I will wave at a guy riding a scooter.

Last year we rode into a rally that was basically 90% Harley owners. Had a good time and got ready to leave. One of the guys I rode in with got on his crotch rocket and stepped into something slick that someone had spilled and laid his bike on to its side. Of course 200 people turned to look to make sure it wasnt there bike. They all turned right back around and ignored him when they saw it was not a harley. Only three other riders offered help, if it was a harley there would of been 100 people offering help. I just dont get that part of it.

I am not saying that this is every Harley rider or this is a typical response. I am saying if u see a rider in distress does it really matter. Shouldnt the culture be about riding and helping someone if they need it. That is what I was taught and that is what I teach my kids.

Just Ride and enjoy!

Old 02-19-2011 | 06:55 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Default We are all one big happy family

Back in the 60s I rode a Honda and most of my friends rode either BSA, Triumph, Harley or Indian bikes. We rode together all over this state and we all gave each other a hard time about what each other rode. But we all cared about each other because we all rode bikes no matter what brand it was. I now, and have for a long time now, own a Harley and ride with friends that own Honda and Kawasaki, and other Harley bikes and again we still give each other a hard time about what the other rides, but it has always been in a fun way. I wave at all bikes I see on the road weather it be a Harley or a Vespa as do all the friends I ride with. From what I have seen, the only ones that seem to show an attitude are ones from certain bike groups that think that because they are in that group they are better than those that aren't, and then only a few of them truly feel and act that way. There will always be those few that will raise their nose at those that aren't riding what they are riding and unfortunately those are the ones that people remember most.

Old 02-19-2011 | 07:05 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I think a broad motorcycle culture exists because the sport is just so damn fun. The other "sub" cultures exist based on how the rider wants to enjoy the sport. Harley has done a great job nurturing their idea of the Harley Culture. It's a mix of American Heritage, Easy Rider, The Open Road and Good Friends. And they put their money where their mouth is when it comes to sponsering events.

Old 02-19-2011 | 09:03 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
According to other cultures around the world, the US culture is based on beer and ****. I'm okay with that.

OP must have never seen the numbers that gather for HRC (Honda Riders Club) annual "Honda Hoot" It is as big as any HOG get together.

Most HOG get togethers are local. All of the big rallies are not HOG rallies, they are local promoters.
Hd was asked by Milwaukee some years ago about having a yearly "anniversary" celebration. HD did not do it figgered that Too much of a good thing was detrimental. So the MoCo decided on 5 years. Part of the 105Th celebration was the 25th anniversary of HOG here are some pictures of the parking lots at Miller Park where the HOGfest was held Sort of like the Hoot? All of the lots were filled like this no clue how many bikes were there. As an aside, of all the riders I have met while riding I have found that the rudest and most snobbish are the ones who ride Goldwings. Just an observance

Attached Thumbnails Biker Culture or Harley Culture?-parking-hog-25.jpg   Biker Culture or Harley Culture?-parking-hog-25.jpg-a.jpg   Biker Culture or Harley Culture?-parking-hog-25.jpgb.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011 | 09:21 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

I believe there are many, i said many, who haven't "lived to ride" and then out of the blue succumb to the HD marketing Mystique. Whether they ride much or ever rode, go out and drop big coin on what they percieve will make them instance bikers. From that point, it's not hard for them to convince themselves that they are now part of a big ole family of brotherhood....after all, that was the marketing message, that was their midlife crisis desire, and they're cutting a large payment check each month...the justification and mindset is welcomed by the ego.
All that said, I rode jap scoots all my life until recently adding a HD to my stable. I bought it for it's amenities and specs as I can always resort back to my Roadstar 1600 for a raw, loud soul thumping fix. I've yet to discover the answer to "If i had to explain it....blah blah blah". So, I guess I didn't fall victim to the HD marketing secret mystique.
Because i bought the same "brand" as another guy, sure as hell don't make him my "brother".... 2 wheels is 2 wheels, you live to ride or you don't, the brand don't make the man, and buying an HD and 5 tatts ain't gonna buy your a true brother.

Old 02-19-2011 | 09:41 AM
harley9607
Tourer

Originally Posted by vet767
As an aside, of all the riders I have met while riding I have found that the rudest and most snobbish are the ones who ride Goldwings. Just an observance
I personally know two Goldwing riders and they are just like you and me, they just want to ride.

Old 02-19-2011 | 10:15 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior

Some of us didn't buy a Harley because we wanted to be part of some "lifestyle" or "brotherhood". Some of us just like motorcycles and riding them. I have made friends in the riding community, but that wasn't my goal. I just like to ride. Am I a biker? I guess that depends on your definition.

I do probably 80% of my riding alone. I do ride with a local riding group from time to time. These guys ride a mix of Harley's and Metrics. The guy that organizes the group rides a Goldwing. He has ridden to Alaska, and the four corners of the U.S. None of us really cares what the other rides. We just enjoy the rides and scenery.

Last edited by fastjoe; 02-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2011 | 10:22 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley9607
I personally know two Goldwing riders and they are just like you and me, they just want to ride.
Stopped for a broke down Goldwing last summer. Turns out the guy just got back on a bike after a long absence (got a good deal on an older wing) and owned a local bar back in the day and was well immersed in the "culture". He was a real nice guy and forced a $20 on me for chasing some parts down for him so he could get back home.

Old 02-19-2011 | 11:13 AM
JohnT
Road Master

I ride with a group or guys whose bikes include Harleys, Goldwings, Yamahas, Wing and Harley trikes, BMWs, Honda's, a Ducati, and sometimes one of them brings his Burgman 650 scooter. We do a 150-200 mile loop every week with a stop for lunch. In three years not one of us has had anything negative to say, even in jest, about what anyone else is riding. We all just like to ride.

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?