Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

firefighter616 said it right.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the f*ck is the "lifestyle"? I wear leather because its best against the elements and protection against rash in case something happens.
I love my motorcycle. I love riding my motorcycle. Simple as that. The rest is an excuse for some people to act the way they do.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

According to other cultures around the world, the US culture is based on beer and ****. I'm okay with that.

OP must have never seen the numbers that gather for HRC (Honda Riders Club) annual "Honda Hoot" It is as big as any HOG get together.

Most HOG get togethers are local. All of the big rallies are not HOG rallies, they are local promoters.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default B.o.s!

....... "is this perception I have of only Harley owners having this increadibly huge subculture as part of the "Harley Experiance" a manifistation of the old days or is it just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley?"

.......is this perception I have of FROGS having this increadibly huge subculture as part of the "FROG Experiance" a manifistation of the old days or is it just a bunch of cockeyed amphibians that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Gilded Lily Pad?

What a B.O.S!

Last edited by hommes; 02-18-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
or is it just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley?
Yeah that is pretty much it...... I mean anybody who has $15k can buy a Harley

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's your decision to make and nobody elses...If you came in here for that decision you are not making the right one!

Originally Posted by Robotech
This is not meant to turn into some ugly argument (though it probably will...nature of internet forums) but rather something to spark some thought and discussion on the subject.

I'm new to riding and still am learning a lot about "the lifestyle". I have seemed to notice though that there is a certain culture surrounding those that own Harleys. While other types and brands of motorcycles have their own "groups" of riders bonded by their machines it seems like, with Harley, this bond is much bigger, much stronger, and much more ingrained into owners than any other.

I'm wondering why? Then I read this in another discussion:

And that got me to thinking...is this perception I have of only Harley owners having this increadibly huge subculture as part of the "Harley Experiance" a manifistation of the old days or is it just a bunch of idiots that think they're better than anyone else because they own a Harley? Is it that Harley owners, by their very nature of wishing to own a machine that is more "heritage" and "tradition" than "cutting edge" in design and form already predisposed to The Lifestyle because, it too, is about heritage and tradition? Do younger sport bike riders have different priorities and thus tend not to identify with the "Lifestyle" and is this one of the reasons why they choose the type of bike they do? Are those that ride many different brands and types of motorcycles closer to living the lifestyle than someone who looks down on someone who rides a different brand of motorcycle since they have more in common with those that came before because the "lifestyle" wasn't about what you rode but rather that your rode?

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this because I'm incapable of answering the question for myself. I can think on my own, thank you. Rather, I'd like to hear what others have to say and open myself up to other opinions since I'm still getting educated on all the different aspects of riding.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,047 Likes on 697 Posts

Sure I like my Harley I've been wanting one my whole life but, if you ride something else I"ll ride with you.
Thats not saying I'm not a proud Harley owner because I am but, that dosent make me any better than you.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I really don't like the "biker lifestyle" aspect of the sport. Drives me crazy to see guys who think they are Billy BadAss because they hopped off their Harley and have the Stereotypical Harley clothes. I see these nitwits everywhere. Some dude that gets off his bike and has to walk into the restaurant with his chest all puffed out, Talking in real loud tone of voice to his buddies so everyone in the joint can hear his bad self, talking all loud to the waitress. Gimme a break.

I ride a Harley because I appreciate a product that's made to be rebuilt if necessary as opposed to just thrown away (like the Asian bike way of thinking). I like the fact that Harley is slow to change their bikes and most models stay the same for like 10 years. On my 99 RK there isn't many parts that a dealer Doesn't stock for that bike. Harley's (to me) are fun to work on, maintain, clean, shine chrome...etc. And that's what lured me towards Harleys, not any perceived "lifestyle" or "culture".

My friends all have bikes, We're all blue collar people, welders, machinists. We all like to tinker with our bikes and enjoy a good day of riding and just hanging out having fun. And actually, when my friends and I stop off at some bar or eatery we don't talk about Harley's, or any bikes. Seems like the conversation always ends up being about how the U.S. doesn't produce or export anything and how Imported Chinese crap is ruining our country.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

In my short Harley owning experience (coming up on a year) I have found that the 'Harley' image or culture is more an issue for non-Harley riders. I can't tell you the number of times I have been introduced to another rider and as soon as they know I ride a Harley I am more or less shunned. I say F' em all. I like to ride and ride a Harley now. Some day it may be something else but for now I am enjoying my new found love.

Just pissed off no one introduced me to riding 20 years ago.

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?