Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Culture or Harley Culture?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
. . . Thus if you have someone who buys into the value and that ideal, on some level, does this mean folks who ride Harleys maintain this "connection" because they have an inherant belief that's the way riding should be, like back in the 50's and 60's, or rather than they buy a Harley and then believe that because they own a Harley this is the way things should be?

It's a question of which came first, the owner already has an appreciation for that "connection" between riders, for that "lifestyle" or do you have someone who buys a bike and THEN starts trying to "be another one of these riders" and goes along with it because "that's what a Harley owner does."
I think your latter point is most correct. One definition of lifestyle is: the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group. While that definition does apply to those early bikers of the 1950s and 60s, it, obviously, does not apply to what is now viewed as the Harley lifestyle or culture.

In my opinion, the vast majority of current Harley owners (most of whom have never heard of this or any other Harley-oriented Internet forum) do not conform to the above definition. Instead, they have bought into Harley-Davidson’s depiction of a ‘biker lifestyle,’ which includes, in addition to the motorcycle itself, a vast array of Harley branded clothing, accessories and other items. In other words, this is no more than a ‘marketing lifestyle,’ rather than a way of life. Instead, for most, it’s more of a hobby wrapped in fantasy than anything else, conveying a sense of belonging to something outside one’s self.

In creating this, Harley-Davidson has beyond brilliant.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duplicate

Last edited by JohnT; 02-18-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
OH BOY! Another "What's a real biker thread"
Yes its winter!!!!

It gives the RUBS something to hump each others legs over.

How nice, maybe waving, oil, whats a posser, rub, I am a biker and you are not

Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-e
I like to ride, I like to hang out with other people who like to ride..... um, what was the question?
Throw in drink a few beers and smoke a good cigar and there is your answer. Never hurts if your Little Lady is into it too.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
T.o.n.y.T.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor took for a ride on his bike when I was a kid and it was different than anything I had ever done. It instilled that desire to ride deep inside. I had it in my mind that when I got older if I were to ride it would be a Harley. My first bike was a honda. I wanted to make sure that I could handle a bigger bike before I bought a harley. If I laid the honda down, it wouldn't be as bad to me if I laid my first harley down. Thankfully, I didn't lay either of them down! I'll ride with anyone and don't think I'm better than anyone else just because I have a harley. I will play and joke around with them, but that's the nature of the beast.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Screw it, who cares, lets ride.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

It isn't a lifestyle for me. It's a RV that use to enjoy trips and rides to new places and sights. Anyone on two wheels is a biker in my opinion. It doesn't have to be a Harley.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
cageddog
Cruiser

I have rode dirt bikes most of my life. My first steet/dirt bike was a Suzuki TS200 enduro. My first real street bike was a Yamaha Virago. I now own my Fatbob Harley, and the choice was made because it's what I wanted. A true rider enthusiast will ride to ride. It is feel for the road, dirt or whatever aspect of riding you desire. It's that feeling that makes riding a lifestyle. I admit I too am caught up up a bit in the "Harley Nation" and proud to be part of it. Lets just get out ride and forget what bothers us. Is it not why we ride in the first place? Enjoy whatever your riding, see on the horizon!!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

That is all way to deep for me. I don't know about a lifestyle or anything else. I had a neighbor back in the 60's that rode a big Harley and you could hear him coming from a mile away. I use to stare at that huge bike in his driveway and I knew then and there as a young boy that I wanted one of those. I wouldn't care if there was only two Harley's in the whole world, as long as one of them belonged to me.

I'm not opposed to any make of motorcycle; in fact I plan to purchase additional bikes to use for other purposes. How people choose to dress, act, socialize, and perceive themselves is their own personal choice.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that you'll find in the long run, it's not Harley and "The Others" but, rather it's all riders.

I seem to really enjoy the people I run into on the road, the restaurants, bars, and destinations. I sit and listen, talk and just feel like I've met some friends.

Some times I wave, sometimes not. Harley rider or Honda. Try to recall the 80's classic "The Breakfast Club" The cornyness is obvious, but the point,you are who you are and you see others as how you want to see them. We are all the same.

Quick Reply: Biker Culture or Harley Culture?