General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those of You With 2 Bikes, Does One Sit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question For Those of You With 2 Bikes, Does One Sit?

I'm at a bit of a cross-roads in which I may think about moving into a touring bike. If i do it now I'll need to trade-in my Dyna. If I wait until the Dyna is paid off in a couple years, I can then keep it and add a touring bike.

It would be great to have two bikes, but will one of them (prob the Dyna) just do a lot of sitting in the garage? Other thoughts, double insurance, double maintenance, ect.

For those of you that have added a bike to stable, what are your long term thoughts and opinions?

Thanks
R

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two and one sits but that's mainly because it's broke. Got hit on it in September and didn't ride until December when I got my Dyna. However I know when I get it back up and running I know I'll ride it more on the weekends and use the Dyna for my commute like I do now and any long distance riding. Help spread the milage around.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, when I'm riding the other one.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,775 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by mcain49
Yes, when I'm riding the other one.
I was gonna say that....

To the op...If you're asking, "Is it worth paying double insurance and maintenance bills" to own/keep 2 bikes in the garage, YES, it's well worth it. I use the dresser for 2 up with the wife and the V for solo riding, love both bikes, am blessed to have them.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

I have often wondered about this. I would love to have my first Harley back a 2000 1200-C as a second bike. My Brother owns it and he drives the hell out of it, bugs me sometimes, but he dose keep it in good shape. I know I could get it back from him, he has been looking at new Harleys. Now that I just got a 11 RK $ are on the short side for now.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Why, yes, one has sat for a while:

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Got 2 bikes and Love having them Both are different options, One for Long Range Touring Solo or Two Up .. The Other around town fun and short trips where the Twisties are calling ...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty much right now as it is kind of a community bike. It's my '01 883 and I start/run/ride it shortly every weekend or so. My dad rides it occasionaly and my wife is sort of learning how to ride. But it needs first gear replaced right now too. I mostly ride my Bob, but have plans to add a big bore, drags, apes,& bob out the sporty for fun riding. Don't matter to me if it sits because i know I'll always have a bike that either I or someone I care about can ride. Long term plans are to fix is all up and be able to hand it over to my son on his 16th bday in a few years.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An additional bike won't sit around if they're suited for different purposes....I like the Super Glide for solo road trips and tootling around town, but the big bagger for two-up riding.

Also, I've had more than a few trips and weekend rides saved because I had spare bikes ready to go when one of them was giving me problems..it was no more inconvenient than going back to the garage and starting up another bike..and at the height of the riding season it could take awhile to get your only bike fixed. A spare is an additional expense, but a real stress reliever.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Frogfarmer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have two in the garage and like said above if the bikes are completely different its about mood as to which one goes out. I enjoy very much having two bikes and would suggest the same for anyone who can afford it. Like many I have a touring bike and a lean mean big inch fire breathing monster.

Quick Reply: For Those of You With 2 Bikes, Does One Sit?