Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stearing Head Bearing adjustment? softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
SWITCHED2HARLEY
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, I did alot of research yesterday. Got it adjusted last night and rights great now. No wobble (Hands Off). Did try that Fall Away procedure (didnt remove any of the cables) and it didnt work for me. My handlebars just fell the way I moved them and they stayed (did not return). Probably due to the cables I guess.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

The fall away test SUCKs...

And I think I've read the new procedure Is diff that whats posted above for the 2007 up bikes.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know why Harley did away with it, but back on the 40's they had a U shaped lever on the top of the steering head that you could adjust the tension on for riding in town, or tightening for the hiway. It really worked quite well.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

I also have an 05 Heritage. 45,000 miles and I've never had a clunk or a wobble but I have never been able to do the manual version adjustment to my satisfaction. Bike level? How level? I've actually put a level on it. From what I can derive three "pinch bolts" should be loosened to have any affect. One under the screw off chrome cap at the top of the steering head and two on the lower triple tree. When I thought I had it right, I couldn't get my road lamp brackets back on because the spacing had changed on the upper and lower triple trees. I like the "feel" method described earlier.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 517 Posts

And if you want to do away with greasing it all the time, and getting the drippage all over the front of your bike, install these.

http://www.jpcycles.com/PRODUCT/230-411

Never could stand all that grease all over the front of my bike.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
And if you want to do away with greasing it all the time, and getting the drippage all over the front of your bike, install these.

http://www.jpcycles.com/PRODUCT/230-411

Never could stand all that grease all over the front of my bike.
Bookmarked. Hate that greasy mess under there.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Here's a way to do this that is way less mumbo-jumbo than the MoCo method. It has worked well for me.

Jack the front end of the bike off the ground. Tighten the adjusting nut until the front end is hard to turn. Next turn the handlebars back and forth, from stop to stop, through several cycles. Notice the front end becomes easier to turn. Back off the adjusting nut to a slightly loose fit, then tighten to about 9 ft-lbs torque. If the front end still wobbles after this (tire pressure good and tire in good condition, with no cupping, etc.) and the wobble occurs during deceleration, tighten the adjusting nut a bit more.

If you get a shimmy and more tightening does nothing to help, then suspect that the steering head bearings have shifted and the races are no longer parallel to the axis of the steering head. This is not unusual in HD bikes as they are relatively heavy. Modern bike head bearings tend to shift back and forth in the frame, especially on the heavier bikes, and this causes the bearings to become non-parallel. Any free play in the head bearings will compound this situation. This sets up torque forces that constantly try to correct themselves resulting in a shimmy, or head shake. The cause is not looseness; the bearings have shifted, and things ain't parallel. Pull the front end off and try to reseat the races in the frame neck.

Check the head bearings frequently IAW the service manual. Since these bearings do not move around like those on an axle, they tend to stay in one spot in relation to the race. Therefore every blow on the front end from road conditions tends to flatten the individual rollers or ***** ever so slightly. Over a period of time these flat spots can cause a condition whereby you point the forks straight ahead, and they tend to fall back onto the flat spot, causing a weave as you go down the road. If tightening the preload does nothing to correct the situation, suspect flat spots in the neck bearings.
Hey man. This is cool. That fall away thing always seemd really complicated.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 AM
digger4871
Stage II
Default Steering head adjustment

Originally Posted by pococj
Here's a way to do this that is way less mumbo-jumbo than the MoCo method.
Jack the front end of the bike off the ground. Tighten the adjusting nut until the front end is hard to turn. Next turn the handlebars back and forth, from stop to stop, through several cycles. Notice the front end becomes easier to turn. Back off the adjusting nut to a slightly loose fit, then tighten to about 9 ft-lbs torque. If the front end still wobbles after this (tire pressure good and tire in good condition, with no cupping, etc.) and the wobble occurs during deceleration, tighten the adjusting nut a bit more.

If you get a shimmy and more tightening does nothing to help, then suspect that the steering head bearings have shifted and the races are no longer parallel to the axis of the steering head. This is not unusual in HD bikes as they are relatively heavy. Modern bike head bearings tend to shift back and forth in the frame, especially on the heavier bikes, and this causes the bearings to become non-parallel. Any free play in the head bearings will compound this situation. This sets up torque forces that constantly try to correct themselves resulting in a shimmy, or head shake. The cause is not looseness; the bearings have shifted, and things ain't parallel. Pull the front end off and try to reseat the races in the frame neck.

Check the head bearings frequently IAW the service manual. Since these bearings do not move around like those on an axle, they tend to stay in one spot in relation to the race. Therefore every blow on the front end from road conditions tends to flatten the individual rollers or ***** ever so slightly. Over a period of time these flat spots can cause a condition whereby you point the forks straight ahead, and they tend to fall back onto the flat spot, causing a weave as you go down the road. If tightening the preload does nothing to correct the situation, suspect flat spots in the neck bearings.

This was a very informative & easy way to do this. I can tell you know your stuff about Harleys. If you can't do most of the work yourself, then you will go bankrupt going to the Harley dealers. Guys like you are what keeps guys like me riding. Thanks for the info. It straightened my 2001 Heritage Softail right out. Thanks again & keep the shinny side up.