General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bike Auctions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Police Bike Auctions

my 2001 FLHPI is the only known new cop bike sold legally to a civilian by H-D authorization. i got it with 9 miles on it after a Birmingham, AL suburb declined delivery and dealer set on in for 6 months with no police takers. BUT to the point New Orleans dealers including Slidell commonly have cop bikes starting at $10,500.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff
BUT to the point New Orleans dealers including Slidell commonly have cop bikes starting at $10,500.
With or without wate damage?

Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to find very low mileage police bikes. But those usually end being purchased by other motor officers. I watched one of our spare bikes get turned in with less than 1000 miles and then last year one bike was outfitted then stripped, never used and turned back in. I know of a police bike that was wrecked, had a new engine and trans and all metal and sold for about 17,000 with about 4000 miles.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: tail11

I would think twice about buying a used police bike. I know a Motorcycle Sgt at the local PD and she told me to never buy one. The PD's bikes are worked on by a city employee that went through some of the Harley courses. Only in rare instances would they be allowed to have the Harley shop work on their bikes. Plus, they run their bikes into the ground, so to speak. In other words, they don't ride them like they own them.

I don't think PD Bikes have the same issues that used PD cars do. With most Motor Officers, there is a sense of ownership over the motor they ride, and they tend to take better care of them, than street Officers do their cars. I know all of our Motor Officers personally, and most of em have Harley's as their personal bikes also, and take good care of both. They don't get idled any more than a civilian would idle his bike, and at least here, the HD Dealer does the maintenance every 3000 miles. The only thing our Officers do to the bikes (other that ride them), is install the radios, lights, etc. to answer a previous question, yes the 07 Cop bikes are 103s.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

I would think twice about buying a used police bike. I know a Motorcycle Sgt at the local PD and she told me to never buy one. The PD's bikes are worked on by a city employee that went through some of the Harley courses. Only in rare instances would they be allowed to have the Harley shop work on their bikes. Plus, they run their bikes into the ground, so to speak. In other words, they don't ride them like they own them.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you and your local PD friend. My experience differs greatly from what you described. In fact, I wound up with a helluva lot more bike for the money than I could have gotten were it not a decomissioned cop bike, and it was very well maintained, and in superb condition.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never purchase one of the police motorcycles in my city. Perhaps other agencies may take better care/ownership of their bikes, but not all.

Caveat emptor.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Having no idea where your city is, I would probably not buy one there either Hell, I didn't buy it in my city either, I drove up the state to Chico to make the purchase. Hall's Harley provides the Chico PD with the bikes, and performs all the maintenance on the fleet. The decommisioned cop bikes at Hall's sell fast. The moment two appeared on their website, I called them, one was already sold. They agreed to put a hold on the other for the remainder of the week (4-5 days) so I could drive up and inspect the bike. It was almost perfect cosmetically, and mechanically excellent. SInce getting the bike, I average between 3000-5000 miles per month. SO if you know what to look for, outstanding deals are out there. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:40 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i know of bikes that never get serviced by thier owners, some with 10-12k miles without an oil change, atleast most cop bikes have regularlly scheduled maintenance.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny this subject came up. I met a moto-cop for our local sherrif dept this weekend. His police Electric Glide is his baby. So I think these guys really take pride in their rides and respect them. At least that is the impression he left me with.

I imagine it changes from locale, to locale though.

Best bet, if I was interested....is strike up a conversation with your local cycle-cop and find out firsthand what the deal is.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I ride one at work. I wouldn't even buy the one assigned to me. I went to HD's Motor School. The riding skills taught there teach you to use/abuse the engine alot harder than the average civilian ever does....Slipping the clutch, riding the brakes, ect. My police motor gets very hot and stays very hot during a shift made up of slow stop and go riding, traffic stops and so on.

Quick Reply: Police Bike Auctions