General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with Vanson Leather jackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default For those with Vanson Leather jackets

I am considering getting a Vanson Hardcore leather jacket. Tried one on today and it was too snug so I'd have to order the next size up (would take 12 weeks to get). My question is I have the choice of either quilted lined or rayon lined. I really liked the feel of the quilted but was thinking it might get to hot and therefore cut down on the amount of riding season I can use it for. Anyone have a Vanson with either the quilted lining or rayon lining? Opinions as to which is better to have? Sorry if this is a lame question, just want some opinions from experience before I drop the coin.

Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I have two Vanson
both are lined and removable

I'd get the quilted
But I rode with a quilted leather for years

Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a bunch of jackets including two Vansons. I prefer no insulated lining unless it is removable. I prefer to be able to layer if needed or to just wear a tee under the jacket or whatever depending on the weather. A jacket without a permanently attached insulated liner is also easier to roll up and stash on your bike when travelling through changing weather conditions.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I'd get the rayon lined jacket. There are lots of hi-tech garments/liners that you can wear under a leather jacket. I still have the Vanson that I bought in '83.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had a quilted since 84,can't say how many times I have got wet and,still managed to stay warm.That a windbreaker and,a long sleeved shirt will get you through most everything.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a nice little collection of Vanson Jackets in my closet. I believe there are 8 in there. Most were bought used on Ebay. Only one of them has the quilted lining. I prefer the cloth lining also because I like to layer to match the weather. As the two other posters above said, there are a lot of excellent hi-tech layering pieces available to keep you warm without extra bulk. The quilted jacket I have is the CHP and i can't imagine wearing that jacket in warm weather.

BTW, if you can afford the extra scratch, think about getting your jacket in horsehide. You'll be passing that jacket on to your son and he'll pass it on to his son. My favorite jacket is a horsehide model B that I bought used. I put leather conditioner on it once a year and I'm sure that jacket will last generations past the time where I'm long gone.

Excellent choice on picking Vanson. I know that Fox Creek is the favored jacket here on the forum. But next time you are sitting around on the weekend and NHRA drag racing is on ESPN, take a look at what almost all the pro-stock motorcycle riders are wearing. It's all Vanson. I figure if they are confident it will hold together in case of a 200mph get-off, well, it will probably protect me pretty well in whatever I'm going to throw at it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my vanson model b is great, but i got it off the rack and in stock on the cheap from a guy going out of business. now to order from vanson they're made in el salvador i believe and i've heard customer service is beyond awful now. many people just give up and cancel the order after 6 months with no jacket. i'm not paying $500+ and waiting 3 months + for a jacket made in el salvidor but that's just me. go with fox creek or schott or something.

not sure what size you are but there's this on on ebay, you can give him an offer for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vanso...Q5fMerchandise

Last edited by babalu; 02-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.