General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife finally decided she wants to get on the bike with me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wife finally decided she wants to get on the bike with me...

My wife had been adamant that she was no way, no how getting on the back of my bike. Well, she told me yesterday she wants to go helmet and jacket shopping because she wants to ride with me.

She said she knows how much I love to ride and it's something she wants to share with me... not to mention the fact that she'll actually get to see me on the weekends, lol.

This development has some possible great consequences. First, we get to spend more time together. Second, I'm guessing she'll get sick of riding 2-up on a Sportster pretty quickly and *demand* that I buy a bagger to add to the garage. Maybe she'll even get the itch to ride her own bike and take the Sporty from me. I fail to see how this could go wrong!

Last edited by inswva; 02-14-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Hope she enjoys it as much as my wife does. Some of our best memories are from the road trips we've had.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

My wife wanted to ride w/ me too. That was until she was following me one night and didn't like the way I rode. I tried to tell her I'd be a little slower if she was on the back. It all worked out in the end. She now has her own 883 and is working her way to leave our street and get on the road. lol I'll have to ride WAY slower when she rides along but, I don't see that as a negative unless she wants to go under the speed limit.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, exact same situation for me. Wife never would consider riding then about last spring she up and says she might like to try riding on the nice days. I knew my sportster would not work and I was really longing for a bigger bike so I went with the Heritage. I don't really care for the touring bikes and any trips we take will be day trips anyways so the Heritage is a perfect fit.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Throwback
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you, man. My wife rode with me for the first time Saturday. She said she knowa how it can be addictive. I hope she wants her own bike,too. I think that would be cool.

By the way, I upped the air press in shocks on th e street glide from 22 tro 35. It feels good there 2 up or solo.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebike32
Hope she enjoys it as much as my wife does. Some of our best memories are from the road trips we've had.
Same here. My wife loves to ride and rarely complains no matter how cold or wet it is. She has no interest in her own bike but claims both of our bikes are hers. :-)))

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Take it slow. Get used to the extra weight on the back. It makes a difference in the turns.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are in for some good times...be patient with her, make sure she has quality gear and that it all fits properly. make her comfortable. before you know it, she'll be saying "hey, let's go somewhere on the bike this weekend".

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes if you have not gone two up often you will notice a HUGE difference at slow speeds and stopping/starting. Sharing the riding experience with my wife is a great way to stay close. Hopefully your wife will love it! Today is Valentines day. Go get her that helmet and jacket today and call it her present.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM
cdculbertson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you definitely have some good times ahead, and jacket/helmet shopping for her is almost as much fun as buying gear for yourself. My wife and I have shared many trips since she began riding with me, but it took her almost a year before she would get on the bike with me.

BTW, I also started with a Sportster, and after our first 1200+ mile trip together she announced that she thought we needed a bigger bike, so just be patient.

Quick Reply: Wife finally decided she wants to get on the bike with me...