General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm gonna do it again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Dude, your my friggin hero. Wish I wasn't such a slave to the grind or I'd be right there with you. I look forward to reading your next account.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
knepp1bj
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey iron *** i was tuned in to your write up...couldnt wait to read it

one thing i thought i read near the end was that that was real hard on your wife...

just wondering how she is taking to you riding it again?

good luck cant wait to read the write up again

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck IA. I guess preparation starts now, huh?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I do so wish my health would let me do that ride. Best of luck to ya, and ride a small streatch of the road for ME!!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,364 Likes on 8,413 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
After all the kudo's I got from the last one I've decided that I'm going to take a digital voice recorder, camera, notebook and a PDA so I can do short daily updates. Also gonna get a good GPS tracking device so people can track me. The one my company gave me last year left allot to be desired.

Dude.......Lets make a documentary. It could pay the way for years to come! I'll ride with ya and do the filming. I'd say we only need about 25 G to get the ball rollin!!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nova scotia is still in canada isn't it? there is a good chance that you will be refused entry into canada if you have an old DWI or other indescretion on your record. keep it all in the united states and i might be interested.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to, but I know I can't do the distance! Go for it! Enjoy the ride! Be safe!

Last edited by olddude48; 02-14-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well let me check all my excuses:
1) work - I just retired that one's gone.
2) expense - well I can't take it with me so that excuse is lame
3) length of time I'd be gone - that's a negotiation with the wife, and I think I could persevere
4) Other commitments - I have signed up for the 911 Memorial Ride in August, so that one is real.
So, with the exception of number 4, I don't really have an excuse why I shouldn't do this. Hmmmmmmmm....

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by knepp1bj
hey iron *** i was tuned in to your write up...couldnt wait to read it

one thing i thought i read near the end was that that was real hard on your wife...

just wondering how she is taking to you riding it again?

good luck cant wait to read the write up again
Actually she is the one that kinda got the ball rolling. I told her that my neighbor Mike that I mentioned in the write up, is going to try and do it this year. That led to a conversation about the Challenge. I told her the changes they were making. She asked if it was in June again and when I told her It's in August she said...."That might give you enough time to save up enough to do it again".

That was all I needed to hear. I don't think I can swing it alone as far as the cost goes so I've got a fund raising website going and going to sell some stuff that I've got from my work. I'm hoping between those and whatever else I can come up with it will lessen the impact on my personal finances. I won't need near as much as last year but it still won't be cheap.

Originally Posted by inswva
Good luck IA. I guess preparation starts now, huh?
I was preparing even when I didn't think I was going to do it again. The thought (hope) has always been in the back of my mind to to it again.

Originally Posted by JW1200
Dude.......Lets make a documentary. It could pay the way for years to come! I'll ride with ya and do the filming. I'd say we only need about 25 G to get the ball rollin!!
That would be great. I actually am thinking about about contacting a film maker and proposing something like that. My approach was going to be for them to film me in the months leading up to and then through the Challenge. If they were able to sell it to someone I would get enough from the sale to cover my cost's of doing it plus my lost wages. It's tough to find someone willing to put out that kind of money unless they really believe that what they are filming is going to go somewhere. I think if they could follow me leading up to it and get me while I'm working and trying to prepare, it could be pretty entertaining and informative.

Your figure of 25G is actually only about 7G more than what the whole thing cost me last year. I'm still paying for it (had to use a credit card towards the end and to make it home). Just about paid off so I can start putting away for this one.

Originally Posted by dan conner
nova scotia is still in canada isn't it? there is a good chance that you will be refused entry into canada if you have an old DWI or other indescretion on your record. keep it all in the united states and i might be interested.
You are correct. Several Challengers were not allowed entry into Canada last year. I really felt bad for them. A few bought tickets and flew up to Homer to be there for the party at the end.

I'm clean and go into Canada several times a year for my work so they have an extensive record of me in there system and usually just wave me through after looking at my passport.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to you IA and safe riding. All will agree that your account from the last HHC was riveting and we can't wait for the next newest chapter.
I am expecting/hoping that the coming HHC will go through Maine. If so, I will park along the road and watch the riders go by. If I can offer assistance to any participating HDF riders I will try. I live close to Bangor.
Happy trails IA.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna do it again!