General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad day..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
Sad to hear about theft. I would be hard pressed to think of a more hated act than theft. That being said, I agree with all that KBFXDLI said except the reward for sighting part. How can you verify a sighting?? A hundred people say they saw it is a quick grand. I get the first Franklin... I just saw it in my town.... (see my point). Good Luck, you will get another. BTW, it was not your fault... it was the thieves fault ...but you could have made it much harder for him/her.
What I meant by "sighting" was if the idiot brought it in for service or repair. I guess "sighting" is a bad choice of words.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Punk_Rocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bike, I hate that feeling. You made some mistakes that helped make it easier to ****** your bike but you don't have to stay a victim. Take the advice and do something about it, might make you feel better too

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Dude: Get proactive. Don't wait for your insurance company or law enforcement to do the following:

1. Go on the HD website and get a list of every dealer in a 3-500 mile radius of your house and fax them a bulletin notifying them of your bike being stolen with description and vin # offer a $100 reward for reporting a sighting of the bike.
2. Notify HD customer service and see if they can tag your vin number as stolen.
3. Start watching craigslist in the major cities near your home.
4. Start watching ebay.
5. Scope friends of friends who may know your habits.
6. Get in touch and stay in touch with your auto-theft detectives who have your case.

KBFXDLI I want you on my side when the $#!t goes down, this is the best advice so far. Do you by any chance own a cape...heh

Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Hope the insurance comes through quickly and gets you back on the road soon.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Any news or updates on this. LEO have any leads?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard to beleive you didn't hear it start up. Even with stock or quiet pipes we are tuned into the sound of our own motors like mothers can pick out the sound of their own crying babies in a gaggle of crying babies. It makes me think they didn't start it and ride off. I'd wager a van was following you around and when they saw the chance four guys jumped out and just threw the bike through the van's sliding side door. It takes five seconds and the size of the van, for the most part, covers their actions. Sorry to say, but the frame and cases will get buried and the rest of the parts will be passed around or sold on Ebay.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

For your next bike, I would strongly suggest having the dealer install Lojack. 1 phone call and your bike will tell the cops where it is... Great piece of mind. Sorry you're going through this hassle.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NickD
I'd wager a van was following you around and when they saw the chance four guys jumped out and just threw the bike through the van's sliding side door.
That's the way the thieves used to do it around here. But I guess they've honed their skills a bit. Now they drive up in a small moving van with the aluminum ramp pulled out about 6 feet and the back door already open. A group of guys that act like their just talking on the street throw the bike onto the ramp as the van slows down. Bike gets pulled in, ramp pushed closed and they all jump in and close the back door. Even with a plate number, Good luck finding "John Doe", the guys name on the rental contract. This was seen in Wildwood NJ several times.

You can't stop these dirtbags, you just have to make your bike harder to get than the next guys. Lock the ignition, forks and cable lock it to a friends bike next to yours if possible. Then hopefully they'll move on to the next target.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've very bad about not locking my bike when I go into a store. I guess I need to start locking everything up.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

When I go into a 7-11 I try to park right a the door. I always keep looking back at it.

I hope the OP keeps us updated on what happens.