Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Crafty Customs Contest

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
yank
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
That last one kinda sucked......J/K Nice to meet you Yank! Had a great time at the bar the night before!

The winner was a pretty big dissapointment, if you notice, his show card in front of his bike states that his bike is a Special construction 2011!!!!

I know of at least 3 other bikes that were better canidiates for that prize! I honestly thought you or I had it in the bag.....Oh well

I had a great trip, got to see a beautiful country on the way out and back, and got to meet new people. I had a good time!
yeah the yellow one sucks! it was a blast on Friday. your bike looked good nice display and all. glad we got to meet and if your ever on the west coast hit me up. thinking about going to sturgis again this year if i do i will let you know.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Buddha_05rk
Intermediate

Can anyone explain to me how a 2011 won the contest? I may be looking at this the wrong way, but just because a bike has a 1999 motor its not a 99 if its titled 2011 special constuction (correct). There were a lot of nice bikes I saw in the magazines, but I feel all the contestents that had a legit 1999 or older bike took a real screwing in this contest.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Nichols
Chad,

You are lacking in some important information about the winning bike.
First, we discovered Bobb-it at the Los Angeles Easyriders Bike Show last
year where it won the Crafty Custom Class. We gave away a Crafty Custom
trophy at each of our bike shows across the country last year and those
bikes got bike features in one of our magazines.

Bobb-it has a 1999 Evo motor but the bike was assembled to be shown at
that LA Bike Show at the end of 2010. Many of the parts for Bobb-it came
from swapmeets or were parts that Mike Toupin traded. For instance, he got
the solid rear wheel at a swapmeet for $10, polished it, got the brakes at
another swapmeet and polished those, found the starter and rebuilt it for
$65, made the motor mount, coil cover, fenders, seat and skid pad by hand.
A friend traded him the King Sportster tank for a set of old Fat Bobs he
had sitting around. But most of what is on this bike was traded for paint
work. Mike did all the polishing, custom paint and assembly himself.

There's nothing wrong with the barter system. He paid for the parts with
his talent and put it together with his own creativity. When Joe Teresi
invented the Crafty Custom contest he said that he wanted to challenge
builders to see what they could come up with for $10,000. The contest did
just that.

I like your bike a lot and am sorry that you did not win the 10 grand but
Easyriders stands by its decision. Also, just so you know, Mike is no high
dollar builder. In fact, we learned that he is planning to close his shop,
another victim of a bad economy. He was a shop of one man with an
airbrush, not some big company.

Last of all, I want you to know that four editors from Easyriders, In The
Wind and Biker picked the winner along with John Green who runs the bike
shows. We labored over our decision and each argued our points for various
bikes as we made our decision.

Dave Nichols
Editor Easyriders & V-Twin Magazine
Paisano Publications, LLC
This about sums it up.

Last edited by redrubicon2004; 01-11-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,627 Likes on 2,529 Posts

When that blue Softail runs outta gas, I imagine the tank is still half-full.

BTW nice build. Love the paint.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Buddha_05rk
Intermediate

Hey Chad from a innocent bystander who kept up on the 99 Crafty Custom contest, I think someone is blowing smoke(Dave Nchols to mention no names). Don't get me wrong the barter system is a great way to do business, but when the bike is titled 2011 special construction it's not a 1999 Crafty Custom. I heard before Easy Rider does things there way and this proves it to me. For me I'm glad I did not have a bike in this contest because if my 99 or older bike got beat by a 2011 I would have been livid. By the way congrats to all the people who had true 99 crafty customs.

Now a feel a little better after getting that off my chest
Todd

Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here it is directly from the rules page of the contest, "The 99 Crafty Customs Contest bikes are limited to street legal and registered 1990 to 1999 Harley-Davidson big twin motorcycles"

You guys got SCREWED. Once again I'm glad I never went through with entering mine.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Buddha_05rk
Intermediate

You guys got SCREWED.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!
Thanks for the post abi

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the letter I sent to Dave Nichols in response to the results of the show. In return, I got the letter I posted earlier.

Originally Posted by Chad
Dave and Sandy,

I would like to thank you and Easyriders magazine for everything you have done for me. This whole contest has been a very memorable experience. The photo shoot was a great experience, as well as the bike being featured in your magazine. That was something I will never forget.

Later being invited to California to compete for the Crafty Custom of the year was kind of a shock at first. Mostly because of the distance I would have to travel to get there. Your offer to help with the travel expenses (.15/mile) was what made the difference in me being able to come. At the time, I didn't realize that this offer was actually an invite to one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I got to spend about 35 hours on the way out there behind the wheel with one of my life long best friends. We got to see many things we have never seen in our lives. We saw the beautiful mountains of Colorado and Utah, we got to spend a night in Las Vegas, we saw the grand canyon, and we also got to see the Pacific Ocean. These experiences will not be forgotten. Last but not least, we also got to show my bike in your event while out there. We had a trip that we will remember for the rest of our lives!

I would like to point out that I am very grateful for this experience, and that I am very grateful for being featured in your magazine.

When we arrived at the show in Anaheim, we were very optimistic, we spent quite a bit of time on our display in the weeks leading up to the show. We wanted to show case our bike and prove to everyone that it was garage built on a very tight budget. We provided pictures of the complete build start to finish, as well as a total price breakdown on every part that was bought for the bike, as well as prices for paint, and powdercoating. We even threw in the prices of the internal engine upgrades. We wanted everyone to know that I was just like them, trying to build a cool bike while trying to pay my bills and keep food on the table.

After seeing the other bikes, we were very nervous. I have never seen such a close match up of bikes in a contest or show category. I truly think it was a total toss up between about 7-8 bikes. We were all talking and had no idea which way it would go. Some guys were nervous about mine, I was nervous about theirs. We were all pacing back and fourth. When you were on stage about to announce the winner, we were all shaking and our hearts were all beating like crazy. I almost couldn't breathe! When you announced the winner, I will admit I was very disappointed and my heart was crushed. I put my heat and sole into that bike. But, every show has to have a winner, it just wasn't me this time. I was still a winner though, I had an experience of a lifetime!

After the show was over and the award was handed out, I stopped to take a picture of the winning bike, I wanted to shake his hand and say congratulations. I got the pictures, but couldn't find the owner in all the chaos.

At that point in time, I noticed something that had me very disappointed in the whole contest. Something that made me feel like I had been cheated like I had never been before. I noticed his show card that was displayed in front of his bike. It said "Special Construction" under the make category, and the year was listed as "2011" I didn't realize that this contest was also open to special construction choppers, that's technically what this bike is/was. I also found out after saying something about that to another competitor that this bike was built by a company. He was even passing out his business cards to both other competitors as well as guests of the show......Chopper Design Group. That totally crushed me. I was so upset that once again, I got stepped on again by the big guys.

When I first heard about this contest, I was under the impression that this contest was geared towards what can be done in a garage by an average Joe. I thought it was all about showing your readers what they can do to their bikes on a very limited budget. I also thought I was going to have to provide proof as to how much money was actually spent. I actually spent 2 days digging up receipts before submitting my pictures for the contest. I thought this was going to be a very fair contest and that I would need to be on my toes to provide information both about how it was built, as well as what was spent. I though to myself, this is going to be a great contest!

I guess I would just like to ask you, Do you really think its fair for a business owner and professional to compete against beginner bike builders and novices? They have the ability to buy parts at cost, they have connections all over the industry and can get parts for next to nothing, and also have access at their fingertips to tools and machines that we don't. How creative and crafty is that? I know the winner is totally your discretion, but we put in our hearts and soles, this guy just put in another day at the office/shop.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the experience this whole contest gave me. I have experiences that will last my lifetime. I'm just very disappointed in your decision to pick a winner who was a shop owner, painter, and professional bike builder. The choice of this winner did not show your readers that the average Joe can build a cool show winning bike in his garage on a tight budget.

I would also like to point this out. I got to talk to another competitor about his bike. He was telling me about how he was trying scrape up money to get his bike fixed so he could ride it to the show. He didn't have a trailer. He was telling me about how he had to rattle can his paint because he simply didn't have the money for a real paint job. He told me about how hard it is to modify his bike and how every time he saves a little money for a modification, he always gets set back by a bill or to put food on the table. I truly felt sorry for this guy and offered him my information. I told him if he needs parts and I have them laying around, that if he paid for shipping I would send them to him for free. I felt very bad for this guy. He put his family first, his bike and hobby second. He was crushed to find out that his bike had developed a leak at the show! I felt so bad for him! I cant imagine how he felt..............

Thank you for everything you have done for me! I will never forget it!

Chad Andersen