General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know anything about Pampa, TX.??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about Pampa, TX.??

Looking for some place with a decent median temp. all year, with good riding.
Requirements: Within 6 hrs. to Oklahoma City. (Not in Okla.)
Not over 95 degrees more than a week of the summer.
Not a lot of humidity, and not too small. (HD dealer, Mall, Wal-Mart, Target, and K-mart required)

I was looking at Pampa, TX. and was wondering if this is considered "Hill Country". Good riding is a must.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM
slowenwobbly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pampa is about 500 miles north of the hill country, which is the area roughly west of Austin to north and west of San Antonio. Pampa is flat, flat, flat. Not much good riding in that area.

You'll not find anywhere in Texas that doesn't have several weeks in the hundreds during the summer, and it's humid.

I would suggest somewhere around Granbury or Glen Rose.

That would put you about five hours from Oklahoma City and about two hours from the hill country.

Also, the area around Stephenville or Mineral Wells might suit your needs, and would put you a little closer to OK City. There's good riding around all the areas i mentioned.

Good luck & come on down!

Last edited by slowenwobbly; 02-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty flat, I lived in Amarillo for awhile.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

well i would agree that you are going to see multi weeks of 95 plus temps in texas,
that area of texas also gets a fair amount of snow. but it is not as humid as the area around austin. abiline, tx is pretty close to central tx but not as humid. it would fit your drive time to OKC.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

Texas is terrible, hot and humid, no good riding, just stay where you are and please tell everyone else too

The panhandle isnt known as one of the most hospitable areas to live, great people but that is about all. You might look into the area around lake texoma.

Last edited by redmonster13; 02-12-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

[quote=redmonster13;7910389]Texas is terrible, hot and humid, no good riding, just stay where you are and please tell everyone else too
you need to head south

Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
rotorh60
Intermediate

Hell, I'm from Pampa. Yes, it's hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. Only thing constant is the wind. There are some good Farm Roads to ride around though, and you can ride forever on a two lane road with little to no traffic at times. As soon as you get off the caprock, you are in some hills. Nothing big, but enough to change up view. The HD shop is in Amarillo (63 miles). You are not going to escape the heat anywhere in Texas. I like the Waco to Tyler area myself. HD Dealers in Waco, Tyler, and Killeene. About two hours or less to Dallas/Ft Worth depending on exact location. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by rotorh60; 02-12-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,538 Likes on 8,463 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's a Bandidos' controled area. But, them's some pretty good fellers down thar!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I live 30 miles from Pampa. About four hours from OKC. The people here in the Texas panhandle are wonderful. I wouldn't recommend moving here for the riding. Flat and windy. Hot in summer and cold in the winter. In case I forget, it is windy. The 95 degrees is going to knock out all of Texas. If you really want to come to Texas, you might look around the Wichita Falls area. That area would meet your requirement of good year round riding. Close to the hill country(hill country is a must ride). Texas panhandle is my home, but it could be considered the sh*t hole of the earth.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 AM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pampa.. I spent a week there one day. One of those towns like many other lazy, west texas towns, a few grain silos , railroad tracks. A cattle truck or two
. I don't know about a wal mart but there might be two Allsups.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about Pampa, TX.??