General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to fit Gerbing battery harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Billiejay11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to fit Gerbing battery harness?

Just bought gerbing T5 gloves. Have sportster 883R. wondering where to route battery cable and portable heat controller?

deciding between forwards position (easy to plug in/out) so end of battery harness pokes out under fuel tank on left hand side....but that would mean cable from portable controller coming from bottom LHS of my jacket OVER my thigh & connect to battery harness .... is this a good idea? Is it likely to restrain or twist me if me & the bike need to part company fast?

or maybe between fuel tank & seat?

or rear position (much harder to plug in/out) so end of battery harness pokes out under seat behind left bum cheek (sorry guys I'm English..butt not in my vocabulary :-)
Any thoughts ?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

05 Sporty here. I have my connection between seat and tank, that way the controller can set in my lap or on front edge of seat and hopefully not go anywhere.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Billiejay11
Novice

hi Pat
so do u run cables from down the back of your jacket towards left side then out from bottom of your jacket over your left thigh, sitting the controller between your legs on the seat?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I routed a single coax connector so that it pokes out the front of the seat horn. The coax connects into my heated gear controller. When I want to run the battery tender I use a coax to sae adapter.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Billiejay11
Novice

hi Jimmers
afraid I'm not up on types of connectors - but i know coax as the cable/connector going into my tv from the aerial (at least that's what we call the tv connector in England). I have an Optimate 4 battery charger - this does not have what I would call a coax connector - but instead a white rectangular plug/connector less than half an inch across... so don't think I could 'marry' that with the gerbing plug. or am I talking about an sae? adapter?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Billiejay11
Novice

looked it up - battery charger has a tamiya connector - anyone know if I could get a tamiya-to-gerbing plug connector, then I could simply plug my heat controller into the tamiya conector/cable that is already attached to my battery?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I can't help with the Sportster wiring. I've got a bagger with bag guard rails that have small bags in front of the saddlebags that I strapped the on/off switch to. I have seen Sportsters and Dynas where the wire pokes out of the front of the seat., but I never checked to see if the tank was scratched.

But I used to mess with the wires routed through my jacket through the sleeves. I gave up and bought a Gerbing heated vest. I don't use the heat much, but it's a great wiring harness for the gloves. It makes life MUCH easier.

By the way, my mum's English, and she knows what butts are.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Scroll all the way down on the link at the end of my post. You will find adapters from the flat type to coax. This is where I bought mine. I removed my Battery Tender harness, and use the adapter to plug the battery tender into the coax. That way I didn't need two harnesses attached to my battery. If you get any more heated gear, make sure you check the fuse rating of the harness...The Battery Tender ones are only designed to run a charger putting out 1.25 amps, and some come with only a three amp fuse. Read the FAQ link on the gerbing site for more information on this. www.gerbing.com

http://cozywinters.com/heated-clothi...FcbsKgodH11Bew

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Billiejay11
Novice

thanks guys for all your help
MNGPRider -

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Billiejay11
Novice

Sorry

Quick Reply: where to fit Gerbing battery harness?