General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM
fsanzone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona Virgin

I am going to Daytona for the fist time and I have a question.

We are thinking of taking the bikes down on the back of a pick up.

I don't ride or golf in freezing weather. Otherwise, I would be going skiing in Vermont or heading to Sturgis in February.

I don't want to buy a ramp. Any ideas on how we might off load the bikes in Daytona . Is there loading dock available to bikers in the Daytona area?

Oh, I would appreaciate any other info you can provide that may make the experience more enjoyable.

e.g. Don't miss...........?
e.g. Never.............?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

loading dock' I don't think so

Going to an indie or metric shop for a 8-10' ramp
might help

or you could ask someone when you get there and borrow theirs

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
chadbob
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this very topic (get bike out of truck) was covered recently. I think the consensus was back the truck into a ditch and/or make some friends when you arrive.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Finding a board, ramp or ditch won't be a problem.

Since this is your first time you'll probably want to do all the big deal things. There are little guides everywhere to tell you where and when.

A few things you won't find on the usual lists you might enjoy also. Find out what day the old timers are going back to the beach. Meet the guys that used to race on the sand for lunch at the North Turn. Good burgers, some nice sun, great tales by guys that are rapidly dying off. I've been surprised to see a movie star or three over theyears sitting there listening to a Dick Mann or Dick Klamforth story. Used to be on Tuesday, but I haven't been in two or three years. The old school bike show at Tropical Tattoo used to be great. Thursday afternoon as I recall. Check out Jerry Wood's auction and swap meet at the Stetson Gymnasium in Deland. A nice ride to Deland. Check out some real cool vintage machines and stuff. Later in the week, Wed to Fri? Go the other direction all the way to Ponce Inlet (south from Pt. Orange bridge). Down by the light house there's a restaurant, really a shack where you can get a good fish sandwich and sit next to the water. Usually there's at least one day with free admission to the infield during the week. You need to see Daytona from the infield and hear the race bikes go by.
Have fun.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Take at least a 3 or 4 ft length of 2x1o or 2 x 12 with you. Find a ditch or small hill you can back up to. You will probably have a small difference in height between the truck and the ground. Unloading is easier than reloading it for the return trip.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call the Harley shop! They must have a way to unload

Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
sbarnes489
Advanced

You can pickup a folding ramp that will hold a bike cheap (less than $100.00). I would not trust a board when you are talking about the price of the bike and when you get there you will want to unload and be ready to ride instead of driving around trying to find somewhere to unload it. I've unloaded a harley or 2 out of a truck and it's much easier to just buy an aluminum ramp. It folds up and will fit right under the bikes for the trip.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a 8 foot 2 x 6 to unload mine from my truck. I get off the south old dixie highway exit, the exit north of destination daytona. Go east to the 7-11 and make a left. down the road about a mile or so on the left is a nice ditch that backs up to a sidewalk. I unload my bike there.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 AM
suey 1958
Cruiser

There are plenty of bikers in the brotherhood there that will be happy to give you a hand with unloading.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used a 2x8 for years and never had a problem. I got these ends from Lowes and made a set and use them for all kinds of things for the last ten years or so. http://www.lowes.com/pd_21705-29318-...toreBeanArray=

Quick Reply: Daytona Virgin