General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecal for parking right in front of a store?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
...Nothing "special" about me or my bike.
Yeah, but your avatar sure makes you look "special".

Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluetoys
I like the hash marks on the end of parking isle too Right by the signs, on the store entrance end.

me too

Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I never really gave it much thought before but after reading some of you all's responses I'm
going to make an 'extra special' effort to always park on the sidewalk whenever possible.
Even if there is an open spot right in front. Oh wait, I already do that.

Many people hate motorcycles and or motorcyclists? Huh. I did not know that.
Guess I had better watch my *** eh?

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by soulpony
Was at the University the other day, there in front of the main doors to the business building is a Goldwing parked in a Handicap spot. I thought to myself, what kinda POS would park his bike in a handicap spot, lo and behold he had a handicap sticker on it. Didn't see the rider, gotta wonder how handicapped he was.

Its been 40 yrs since I've parked my bike on a sidewalk, back then I parked it in front of a friends house.

I have parked at the ends of parking lanes.

I haven't seen any store in our town with motorcycle parking, Even the mall doesn't, but they do for Bicycles.

Both of the biker bars have bike parking.

Some factories have places for MC's with metal plates to put the jiffy stand on.

I seen several HC'ed plates on bikes. My cousin has one, His back is really messed up but can ride for hrs. sitting is not a problem for him, but walking is.
Yes, he uses the elc carts when shopping.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hagger
I never really gave it much thought before but after reading some of you all's responses I'm
going to make an 'extra special' effort to always park on the sidewalk whenever possible.
Even if there is an open spot right in front. Oh wait, I already do that.

Many people hate motorcycles and or motorcyclists? Huh. I did not know that.
Guess I had better watch my *** eh?

Bwahahahahahaha!!!
Nevermind.

Last edited by scoteh; 02-11-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, i don't get the bias toward riders who are handicapped. i know quite a few folks that are handicapped but still ride, yet people think just because they are riding a motorcycle, that they don't deserve to park in a handicap spot. one guy even has a prosthetic leg, does he meet your criteria?
Tell me about it......I've had doctors tell me that they're impressed by how well I can hide the damage to my foot. Maybe I need to leave a copy of an X-Ray hanging alongside my handicapped placard.

I have a handicapped placard, but I seldom use it in our cars. I CAN'T use it on the bike (well, I could if I wanted to leave it on the mirror and hope it didn't vanish). I've parked on the sidewalk once (away from the entrance but under the overhang), when I'd just left Physical Therapy and was going to pick up a prescription and a nasty shower was looming overhead. I rained like hell while I was in the store and the sun came out as I walked out the door.

Oh, well, vanity aside, I just ordered a license plate with a wheelchair for my bike because there are too many people who are concerned about my personal private medical issues.

Does anyone know where I can get a laydown license plate mount for a RG Ultra so I can try and hide my disability ?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it's up to the individual. Before I rode, I would be cruising around a parking lot during the busy holiday season when you almost have to FIGHT for a spot even in the biggest of parking lots and I would come upon an "open" space just to find it occupied by a motorcycle and spend another 10 minutes burning gas trying to hunt out a spot. Use to really **** me off when there was pleanty of "unconventional" places the motorcycle could have parked.

Now blame the shopping center for not making motorcycle parking or blame the rider for not thinking of parking somewhere else but whatever you do I just always thought that if I ever rode I wouldn't take up a full spot in a crowded parking lot if I didn't have to.

And that's how I ride today. If the lot isn't super busy, I'll park in the lot. If it's pretty crowded but there isn't any good place to park on the sidewalk, I'll look for a spot. If it's crowded but there's a place on the sidewalk that is a) out of the way b) not blocking traffic and c) is safe for my bike to be in I'll park there.

It's not about being closer or showing off, or thinking I'm special. If you can find a place on the sidewalk that meets that criteria for your car, go for it! I just don't think you will.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by copacetic
.....It is a side WALK not a sidepark.....
So why do you Park on a DRIVEway ?

Do you drive on a PARKway ?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Nevermind.

I seen that clueless comment.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
So why do you Park on a DRIVEway ?

Do you drive on a PARKway ?
That's funny right there....

Quick Reply: Protecal for parking right in front of a store?