General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecal for parking right in front of a store?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by soulpony
Was at the University the other day, there in front of the main doors to the business building is a Goldwing parked in a Handicap spot. I thought to myself, what kinda POS would park his bike in a handicap spot, lo and behold he had a handicap sticker on it. Didn't see the rider, gotta wonder how handicapped he was.
yeah, i don't get the bias toward riders who are handicapped. i know quite a few folks that are handicapped but still ride, yet people think just because they are riding a motorcycle, that they don't deserve to park in a handicap spot. one guy even has a prosthetic leg, does he meet your criteria?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,167 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I find it to be self important when folks do that. You've got or should have insurance. The parking lot is for vehicles, the sidewalk is not reserved for you!! Really don't care how important you think you are, or how special you think your bike is, I thinks its just rude, and I hate rude behavior, and will for sure point it out to you when the occasion presents itself. Just don't feel there is any need to be that uppity.jmho.
I'm along this line of thinking also. It screams of "Look at me!!!!!!"
yah...golf clap from the onlookers as they stand in awe of a motorcycle and it's mighty important rider looking for attention.

In my book, everyone has the same rights on the road (and a parking lot is part of that)(until proven guilty and negligent). It's the same as someone that double diagonal parks their car/truck..taking up 2-3 spaces...in some method of hogging more than they're entitled to, that their vehicle is more important than anyone elses.

I'm aware of the higher chance of someone not seeing ones bike as they swing through the lot. So I tend to park in the parking lot slots right next to poles for signs or lights, or the shopping cart cribs. Generally towards the farther away edges/corners of the lot..they'll tend to be more empty. I can mount up and take my time without being in the more people dense area...and less traffic and IMO safer to motor away.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 02-11-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
There, I fixed it for ya!
I like my spelling of it better hah..

Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two things I learned the hard way with my bike. 1) illegal to park on the sidewalk around here. 2) Whoever parks closest to the parking meter wins, at least around here.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in an area where parking is scarce. Businesses and car drivers are grateful if you park on the sidewalk or some other place that frees up a full size parking slot for a car. What's rude and self-important about that?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Good point

Originally Posted by 95th 1200
.....my bike goes into a regular spot, not all the way in so someone doesn't go barreling into it because it looked empty.
That's a great idea. Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I park further out than most of the cars. Gives me room and it isn't hidden by cars as people are trying to find the closer spaces. I park far away in my regular vehicle too just to make myself take the longer walk.

The only place I park close is where I presently work, because that is where the motorcycle parking is at.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,167 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Far 3ast
I live in an area where parking is scarce. Businesses and car drivers are grateful if you park on the sidewalk or some other place that frees up a full size parking slot for a car. What's rude and self-important about that?
Probably a whole cultural difference and overall differences...noting your location (Korea). Also your area, based on what we see on TV over here, motorcycles are vastly more popular....and city areas are much more dense than over here in the States....where generic monster malls/plazas with acres of parking lot spaces are the norm.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 799 Posts

I park in a regular parking space, usually in the out-lying areas of of the parking lot. Or in designated motorcycle parking...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All depends on what kind of store it is and if I'm by myself or with a group. A lot of the Home Depots and Wal Marts have a large area near the front of the store (not the side walk) where you can park, in fact usually the store employees who ride park there. But normally I park in the parking lot, I just try to make sure I'm positioned where I can be seen, and of course lock everything up.

Quick Reply: Protecal for parking right in front of a store?