General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecal for parking right in front of a store?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
My .02
If it isnt marked for parking, its not a parking spot.
I dont understand what makes folks think they can park on the sidewalk.
The same thing that makes folks do 35 mph in a 30.
Don't even try to say you don't do that.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Cat
Well I am guilty of parking on the sidewalk right out the gym large windows...just because I somehow feel like my bike is safer...no one is going to touch it when nearly the entire gym can see them and no one is going to "accidentally" hit it with their bumper on the way in or out of a spot. Call me selfish or whatever, but I have lots invested in that baby....otherwise, I'm OK parking in parking lots in designated cycle parking or where other bikers park. .....oh, if I"m in my truck I park as far away as possible..I love to walk!
I have lots invested in my baby. I also don't want anyone to "accidentally" hit it with their bumper on the way in or out of a spot.
So...with that reasoning, can I park my F350 Super Duty 4X4 Crewcab with 8'box on the sidewalk? I think it would be OK and no one will accidentally burn themselves on my pipes. It is also only about 6' wide (I can fold the mirrors in), so shouldn't take up too much space on a 30-50' wide sidewalk. While I'm at it, I could probably fit my 31' toyhauler on the sidewalk behind my truck. It's only just a bit over 8' wide, leaving at least 21' of sidewalk free. I bet if i put the canopy out, and a few chairs under it, people could stop by and relax in the shade on a hot day, or get out of the rain on a not-so-nice day. I bet a few bikers would even like to park under it while they go shopping.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:05 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a funny thread. Just ride..park and take a freaking chill pill. A lot of "riders" worried about etiquette.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I have lots invested in my baby. I also don't want anyone to "accidentally" hit it with their bumper on the way in or out of a spot.
So...with that reasoning, can I park my F350 Super Duty 4X4 Crewcab with 8'box on the sidewalk? I think it would be OK and no one will accidentally burn themselves on my pipes. It is also only about 6' wide (I can fold the mirrors in), so shouldn't take up too much space on a 30-50' wide sidewalk. While I'm at it, I could probably fit my 31' toyhauler on the sidewalk behind my truck. It's only just a bit over 8' wide, leaving at least 21' of sidewalk free. I bet if i put the canopy out, and a few chairs under it, people could stop by and relax in the shade on a hot day, or get out of the rain on a not-so-nice day. I bet a few bikers would even like to park under it while they go shopping.
I don't see why you couldn't. I sure wouldn't complain. None of my business where you park.

Just as it's none of yours where I park.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM
ultra big mac
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
I'm along this line of thinking also. It screams of "Look at me!!!!!!"
yah...golf clap from the onlookers as they stand in awe of a motorcycle and it's mighty important rider looking for attention.

In my book, everyone has the same rights on the road (and a parking lot is part of that)(until proven guilty and negligent). It's the same as someone that double diagonal parks their car/truck..taking up 2-3 spaces...in some method of hogging more than they're entitled to, that their vehicle is more important than anyone elses.

I'm aware of the higher chance of someone not seeing ones bike as they swing through the lot. So I tend to park in the parking lot slots right next to poles for signs or lights, or the shopping cart cribs. Generally towards the farther away edges/corners of the lot..they'll tend to be more empty. I can mount up and take my time without being in the more people dense area...and less traffic and IMO safer to motor away.

I'm not self important, I just don't want some frigging soccer mom or beaner driving their jalopy into my scoot. You and screwloose sound like you like butting into other peoples business out there. I usually park in the stripes next to a light pole, no problems.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with zukeeper that is where I park also, on the yellow striped lines at the end of the parking rows close to the store side.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

I park in the lot with the rest of the vehicles... but i back-in and keep my front tire in line with the rear bumper of the cars/trucks next to me so people don't swing in and hit my bike thinking the spot is empty.
I haven't had a problem yet.
Parking on the sidewalk seems a little obnoxious.
Only place i don't park in a 'spot' like the cagers is at the H-D dealership or bars.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
crusty biker
6th Gear

I don't see nothing wrong with parking on sidewalk as long as you're not blocking any entrances, sometimes some of the best shade is on the sidewalk

Old 02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by crusty biker
I don't see nothing wrong with parking on sidewalk as long as you're not blocking any entrances, sometimes some of the best shade is on the sidewalk
Only problem i see is that it puts your bike out there front and center... like one of those damned 'rides' that you stick a quarter in and it rocks back and forth in front of stores. Don't wanna encourage any little snot-nosed dependants to climb on my ride.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Originally Posted by hagger
Always park wherever I want, (feel most comfortable). Never had a problem.
Many times I get a compliment on the bike from folks walking by on the sidewalk.
My one concern is a small child touching the hot pipes but that can happen in
the parking lot as well.
When my girls were small children I would have complete control of them in a parking lot, however a small child on a sidewalk would have a little more freedom, and is supposed to be there so your hot pipes are actually infringingon their rights and safety, if my child ever burned her legs against a bikes pipes on a sidewalk the bike would be upside down and the owner would be layed out beside it. Not being an a**hole just sayin

Quick Reply: Protecal for parking right in front of a store?