General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

STURGIS, KY (WFIE) - The biggest bike rally in Kentucky, and one of the biggest money makers in Union County, won't be held this summer and organizers say it may never return again.

Committee members say the decision to cancel the rally comes after dwindling attendance has caused the festival to lose money. For business and residents it's a case of say it ain't so.

"Imagine 16,000 people coming to town and want to buy stuff every year, it's gonna hurt, it's gonna hurt," said the owner of 5th Street Signs Floyd Breedan.

Breedan owns a tee-shirt and sign shop in downtown Sturgis.

He says 30 to 40 percent of his business comes in one week-- the week of Little Sturgis.

"I'm very disappointed so are a lot of other business owners. We had no say in it, were not on the council here in town," Breedan says.

And Breedan isn't the only one that says he feels he's been taken for the ride.

"I don't know what happened," said William Yates, who says the festival has become a yearly tradition. He and his friends have been watching the motorcycles come to town since rally began in 1993.

"I remember the first time I'd seen them. I bet there weren't 100 people here with bikes but everyone was up town looking at the bikes," Yates says.

But bikes returning to Sturgis may never happen according to committee members.

They declined to be interviewed, but say only around 8,000 people attended the rally last year, down from it's peak at 22,000.

Members say hiring bands, security, trash removal and other mandatory items is causing the festival to lose money. They also say securing land leases has become challenging.

But business owners like Breedan say the business that is going to be lost by losing Little Sturgis will be significant.

"Everyone in this town's gonna feel it, definitely gonna feel it. Me more than others and others more than me, but I'm gonna feel it," Breedan said.

Throughout the festivals history, it has brought in more than $2 million for charity.

Many business owners told 14 News they plan on organizing to revive the event.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the possibility of putting together a "ride" thru that part of Ky and Tn and use Sturgis as a stopping point to rest and buy lunch?

It would not have to be everyone at once, could be several groups so it wouldn't overwhelm the town at one time.

There are may beautiful areas down that way including the lake there near Somerset.

I think a ride would show our support to the business people and would make the promoters see what they are missing

Just a thought

any interest?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by strongwood
What about the possibility of putting together a "ride" thru that part of Ky and Tn and use Sturgis as a stopping point to rest and buy lunch?

It would not have to be everyone at once, could be several groups so it wouldn't overwhelm the town at one time.

There are may beautiful areas down that way including the lake there near Somerset.

I ride through better looking parts of KY every time I leave the house and Lake Cumberland is hours away from Sturgis. If I was putting together I ride, that wouldn't be the place. If you like Lake Cumberland/Cumberland Falls, ride from there over through Pineville to Tennessee, ride through the Dragon, hit North Carolina, etc.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by strongwood

I think a ride would show our support to the business people and would make the promoters see what they are missing

Just a thought

any interest?
Did you read the link that was provided? The promoters are losing money on it and they are having legal issues with Sturgis SD to boot. The way the event has been going for them the last few years, the only thing the promoters of the event are missing is a negative entry in their check book. I can sympathize with the business owners, who by the way didn't put out any cash for the event, but I see the promoters point of view. Who wants to put on an event that loses money for you and lands you in court?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad news indeed...perhaps getting back to the basics and making it a basic rally like they used to be. I personally don't care for the rallies that get huge, and ultra organized. I live in Laconia, Indiana and would love to see it host a Little Laconia Rally every year

Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

This is what I found-

Little Sturgis Kentucky Rally Out of Gas

http://usridernews.com/2011/02/11/li...rally-on-hold/

"The economy has done what the lawyers could not.
It’s put the brakes on the Little Sturgis Rally and Races.
Featured on national television shows and in every major motorcycle magazine in the USA, Little Sturgis was, at one time the largest outdoor display of flesh and motorcycle eye candy in the Southeastern USA.
It was so popular, the Chamber of Commerce of South Dakota sued the Chamber of Sturgis Kentucky claiming the small town was stealing it’s name.
Citing a drop in attendance and a huge operating loss in 2010, the Sturgis Kentucky Chamber voted today not to hold the 2011 rally, according to a well placed source.
The Chamber issued a press release that stated; “Due to various circumstances, the Board of Directors of the Little Sturgis Rally and Races for Charity, Inc cancelled its annual fundraising motorcycle event that was to be held July 14th-17th, 2011 in Sturgis KY. The Board of Directors thanks all the volunteers and participants over the past eighteen years that made it possible to raise over $2 million dollars for various charities and educational entities.”
(added 5:30pm) According to a report in the local paper, Board Secretary Lisa Jones said that the economy and the ongoing lawsuit with Sturgis South Dakota over the use of the name “Sturgis” is the reason the rally is taking a “sabbatical” and that it may return in the future. Both sides in the lawsuit have filed a motion to have the 2008 suit dismissed but that the suit is a “cloud” hanging over the Sturgis Kentucky chamber."

Too bad, I was going to go this year for the first time. My kin are from just down the road and they said the event is a real boom for local business. And that part of Ky is dirt poor.

Riding that area is cool, and there's an active ferry crossing the Illinois by
Cave in the Rock, which takes you over to Illinois.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just ran its course. It was a big deal back when there weren't so many other events available to check out. The Hogrock rally happens twice a year close by, and it's the same thing except bigger, on private property, not a dry county, and has shade.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe I read hogrock was moved. Seems it was moved to a fair further north where they had to stop all the non 'G' rated activities.

Not so sure I would classify this as having run its course. But if the promoters lose money why are they going to continue? I heard they doubled prices already. Judging how so many riders will spend unbelievable amounts of money on their bikes and other ride associated things, I'm thinkin the lawsuit brought about from 'the' Sturgis event has more bearing on this all than we might realize.

Whichever why, its a done deal for now. I was just at an Easyriders event and they were selling the Sturgis Ky shirts like they were on fire.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Try this if you want to know what the organizers have to say

http://www.bikernews.org/wtn/news.php?item.12286.2
I think what may have killed was the "Fun Police" starting with all the no nudity, no hell raising BS. We'd ride over from Hogrock, but didn't spend much time there the last couple of years due to increase heat.

Bones

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
hog daddy's across the river in old shawneetown closed its doors to
What happended with Hog Daddy's?? They just built a huge addition last year.

The links for HogRock, Hogrocktober Fest and the Old Shawneetown rallies are still live but with Hog Daddy's closing I wonder.

Hog Rock was not at the fair grounds last year and the link for this year still identifies the campground site.

Well looks like Bill Monroe's place will be crowded for the Bean Blossom and the there is always the Boogie.

Bones

Quick Reply: little sturgis