General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley kickstands...wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley kickstands...wtf

With weight on the Jiffy Stand it "locks" in place and will not move back up into the retracted position.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Sportshot
Cruiser

FYI the 07's either have to be in neutral or the clutch pulled in for them to start.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sportshot
FYI the 07's either have to be in neutral or the clutch pulled in for them to start.
Not a bad feature. If it did not add too much weight, integrated braking would be cool, too. But I'll take what we got.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:37 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 07 will start with stand down and in gear, but it goes up by itself if you move

Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,070 Likes on 2,114 Posts

ORIGINAL: veniculum

ORIGINAL: JBA111

boy some pepole just got to find something to complain about..
.................................................. ..............................
Hey man..I don't know how long you've been posting/reading this board,
but in my almost 1150 posts, this is the first (semi) negative thing I've had to say about anything harley.

"Boy..people like to complain" ????

C'mon man. I'm simply making an observation, asking for what people have experienced,
and seeking a solution to the possibility of a (pretty much) minor problem...
that could become a major problem if this thing ever broke.
.................................................. ..............................
venic, forget it. The jba is not an irish tater, or a sweet tater, he/she is an agitater.

You are right with the question, and I for one have no concerns with stability of the Kstand.

Yeah it leans way over, giving you flexiblity on what surface you park the WG.

Pay attention, and you won't have an issue.

42 years on HD Kstands, the only time I have ever seen a problem
is on a surface that is soft allowing the stand to sink in.

Only happened once, I always pay very close attention to the plant of the stand,
Certainly don't want to go down at zero miles per hour.

Legitimate concern, just use your common sense.

mud

Old 10-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Sportshot
Cruiser

Got a bike cop up the street from me and his cop HD has antilock brakes. I guess you can only get them is your a cop.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:08 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

Well the friggin' Jiffy stand ain't worth a **** if you forget to put it down, really p1sses me off that Harley would design a motorcycle that would fall over just because you forget to make sure the stand is down.

For real though, don't ever just move your bike even a little forward without rechecking the Jiffy stand. Nothing like getting off your bike and looking back just in time to watch it lay down.

Obviously NOT Harley's fault.

Has this ever happened to me? Maybe

Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member

Beats leaning it against a tree

Old 10-07-2006, 03:36 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only issue I ever had was a stretched out spring once on my 03 RKC - not even really sure how it happened, but figured that the stand was left down when the bike was loaded on a trailer and must have "bounced" on the stand a few times - it never went over (at least there was no marks indicating that it did). Had to use a bungee to hold it up so I could ride to the dealer and buy a new spring ($5). Put it on in about 2 minutes and never had another issue.

When parking, always check to make sure the stand is fully extended so that it can "lock" into place before dismounting to the right - it can be really awkward holding the bike up from the right side and trying to get the jiffy stand down on the left without dropping your ride. It'll make you look pretty dumb.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:23 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it very interesting to hear what you guys are saying...and judging from the number of responses in a short amount of time, I suppose I've asked a pretty legitimate question. I guess the reason for my frustration with this particular stand is based more on it being different from every other stand I've used than any real functional issue. That combined with the fact that when I dismount my bike and lean it over, it seems to lean more than any bike I've ever owned/ridden. In reading many of the responses here, it makes much more sense to me to have it lean that far. However, that doesn't change the fact that when I lower that stand, pretty much every time, I'm second guessing myself thinking there's no way this bike should be leaning this far...only to realize, it's perfectly normal...for this bike. And in all honesty...I've had a couple of buddies checking out my ride, sit on it (gasp..yeah I know), and get off worried that it's going to fall over even with the stand down.
So the bottom line is, you guys have made some great points about this thing...and have definitely made it less of a concern for me. This doesn't mean that I'll ever really get used to that feeling...but as long as my bike doesn't fall down, then the stand did its job. No problem so far.

Regarding the so called "lock" feature...a couple of you have tried to explain this...but so far the responses ...(i.e. the "weight causes it to lock"....or "push the bike forward and it stays down")...pretty much describe every stand I've ever used. I'm still not totally understanding the difference between this stand and other brands' kstands...other than the fact that the HD's is shorter...and it's a little nicer chrome

Thanks again guys

Todd

Quick Reply: Harley kickstands...wtf