General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley kickstands...wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:06 AM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley kickstands...wtf

boy some pepole just got to find something to complain about..
You will see awhole lot more straight up metrics get bumped over than you will ever see Harleys with broke kickstands!!
Back several decades ago when it was all the rage to put a set of 8" over forktubes on everything, you wouldn't belive the lay over of bikes with stock kickstands and 8" over tubes and they still wasn't bad to turn over.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problems, and this is from someone that knows weak stands. The EHs are so weak that it is not smart to sit on them w/the stand down. They will bend at the hinge on a majority of the bikes. The fix is to weld on a whole new stand. Not doing that, so I am careful. They all lean over about the same as the HD, and that is normal. Sit on them enough to bend the stand and they look like they're going over. Called the LWO (leaned way over) syndrome.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:22 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

I absolutely LOVE the jiffy stand. How many people have accidentally hit the start button when it was in gear? I have and it still didn't come of the stand thanks to the patented design. Granted, if they had a neutral safety switch like most others it wouldn't have happened anyway but still, I love the design.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:23 AM
harleybiker
Tourer

Mine (05 Deluxe) seems very stable.

hb

Old 10-07-2006, 12:43 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Best stand of any bike that I know of. Long ago, I had a Kaw KZ900 that stood more vertical and once got blown over by a passing eighteen wheeler and another time accidently pushed over by an idiot leaning on it. I never leaned on it again but lean on my Harley all the time. The locking feature of the Harley stand is also a great feature.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

I had a japper in the 70's with a short kick stand that dug into the bitumen driveway and the bike fell over. With harleys being heavier it makes sense to have the weight as far from the bike as possible to stop this.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

I trust mine totally. I lay on the bike and grab a few Z's from time to time. Very solid and am glad they are at the angle they are. Some streets have a large crown on them so when parked at the curb the bike is still safe from an upright position and falling over.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:02 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

Nice lookin' ride there jackhammer!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBA111

boy some pepole just got to find something to complain about..
You will see awhole lot more straight up metrics get bumped over than you will ever see Harleys with broke kickstands!!
Hey man..I don't know how long you've been posting/reading this board, but in my almost 1150 posts, this is the first (semi) negative thing I've had to say about anything harley. "Boy..people like to complain" ???? C'mon man. I'm simply making an observation, asking for what people have experienced, and seeking a solution to the possibility of a (pretty much) minor problem...that could become a major problem if this thing ever broke. I also made a point to mention that this is the first thing since getting a harley, that I've actually noticed as possibly being a concern....and I based that on a comparison with previous bikes that I've owned...which, by the way, never once came close to getting bumped over on the high side. I think if you want to comment about people who complain, there are a lot more appropriate threads out there that you can point out.

Anyway thanks everyone for the replies...I suppose if there are those who have had these bikes for any length of time and not had problems, it shouldn't be a concern. And I have to be honest...I never really thought about the opposite scenario in which the bike goes over the other way. I guess that's because this bike leans over so far to the left, that never even entered my mind. As far as the - stand down, bike in gear, bike doesnt start - that's pretty much the case with all bikes now. I've had 6 or 7 bikes over the same amount of years (a couple sport bikes, and a couple metric cruisers) and they were all like that.

I do have one question though...some of you have mentioned a "locking feature". I'm not really sure what you mean. I mean...my harley's stand seems to click/snap (whatever) down and up the same way the metrics did. Is there something I'm missing here? It's been over a year since I had my last metric, so maybe I'm just forgetting something.

Thanks again.

Todd

Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

You can push the bike forward and the kickstand won't kick back up.

Quick Reply: Harley kickstands...wtf