General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley kickstands...wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
The Harley kickstand (Jiffy Stand) is the most reliable stand on the market. It locks in place when weight is placed upon it and you can't roll the bike off by accident. A brand new Gold Wing has a stupid little straight hunk of non chromed metal holding it up. I've never had a kickstand break in over 30 years of riding Harleys.
Well said. I wish the stand on my BMW was as good a my Harley's locking stand.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you ever leave your bike (or any other vehicle) in neutral when its parked?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
vette8494
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on all of the above. I had a Honda Valkyrie which had a very beefy stand. It stood more upright and seemed a lot more sturdy. One day, in the garage, I moved the bike forward without leaning it over enough and it rolled right off of the stand. Try lifting a 800 lbs. bike. I'll take the Jiffy Stand.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually prefer the bike to lean more, like the previous posts stated, but the only problem I could see from that is if you parked on a soft spot (hot asphalt, grass) the bike is putting more weight on the jiffy, So, I'm gonna use a puck(coaster) under it just in case.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to tell you Big Sled, I'm a fan of the snake.

-notice how I didn't say "your snake?" Didn't want it to come back and haunt me.

Originally Posted by Big Sled
HD jiffy is A+. If there is a concern.... just replace it with a snake!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember on my first H-D I rode it to work the next morning and parked it. It was then that I first noticed that the jiffy stand would roll forward looking as though it would just fold-up and let the bike go down. I spent like 5 minutes staring at it and trying to correct it by rolling it back a couple inches but it kept going back to the forward lean. Eventually I realized it's not going anyplace but I was almost late for the shift to start, lol. Since then I've not worried about it and realized that's how it's designed and in fact it's very secure.

There have been a number of threads ref this very subject and it's virtually 100% amongst the members here that they've had ZERO problems with the H-D jiffy stand.

It's just DIFFERENT from what you're used to is all. But in fact very secure.

Last edited by Arizona; 12-28-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Welcome to the forums... and YES... this subject HAS been brought up... many times. .

LMAO. I guess you didn't pay attention to the OP that you quoted and answered, huh? If you had you would have seen that the OP/Member that you just "Welcomed" to the forums has been a Member here longer than you and me both at 3 Years and has 1,800 Post AND that his question that you quoted was asked 2+ YEARS AGO in 2006.

The only reason this thread was brought back from the dead was a SPAMMER did it trying to sell their products without paying to be a Sponsor. Hopefully though they will be Banned until they pay up.

My Point: We ALL need to pay attention when answering threads.

Last edited by Big Pig; 12-28-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 PM
amike
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veniculum
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I'm watching my favorite show right now (dateline predator show - that's another thread though)...so I haven't done a search.
I just want to know who else can't stand these kickstands on the harleys. I just don't understand why they are set up so that the bike leans over so far. Not only that, but they just don't seem as rigid as they should. These are big, heavy bikes, and it just seems like the kickstands are just not very supportive. Maybe it's just me, but has anyone ever had a problem with these things? I sometimes wonder what I'd do if it broke.
Don't get me wrong. My worry isn't based on any bad experience...and I really don't know the reliabilty of these stands. The experience I do have is with my previous metric bikes. The stands on those bikes just seemed to hold the bike upright a little more and they definitely felt a little more firm. So far this has been the only thing about a metric that I might actually like a little more

So should I even be concerned? And what about alternatives if I ever did run into a problem.
I'd really like to hear what you guys think.

Todd
There is nothing wrong with these kickstands. Where are you parking it...in a ditch?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

read your owners manual. it is a jiffy stand, not a kick stand and should be used as such. or a block of wood works very well. huh?