General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD seasonal jacket...Not available???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New HD seasonal jacket...Not available???

I was checking out the new jackets on the HD site and came across one that I was interested in. It stated it was only available for a limited time which usually means it is seasonal. So I go into the local dealership to see if they have it. They don't but pull up the item number and it is listed as obselete and not available. They did a search and a few dealerships along the east coast had a few. What I am wondering is how a jacket that is listed as new can already be unavailable.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New HD seasonal jacket...Not available???

I'm certainly no expert but I've seen exactly what you are talking about. My guess is they come out with new style jackets every summer and winter yearly. The purpose of that is to keep us buying. Couple years ago I bought the Durango jacket and then couple years later found the one I wear mostly now but can't remember the name of it. But its a marketing ploy.

If theres a certain one you want I'd also check Ebay. I seen some genuine Harley jackets go very cheap there. I guess cheap compared to what we pay for them new.

Good luck

Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Limited time, also means limitied production run....or in other words...not very many were ever available..perhaps 3-8 per dealer or less.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monstermile
I had the same luck. I really like my black and gray mesh jacket and wanted to buy another HD heavier weight armor mesh jacket but they were already gone. One dealer had it close buy I was two paychecks away from the extra funds to buy it.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for a Harley dealership and from time to time, the part numbers are not right.....that would be my best guess as to why it's showing "not available". I can go on the Harley site right now and find part numbers that do not exist (it will show the right part, but the wrong part #)

Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sam

I work for a Harley dealership and from time to time, the part numbers are not right.....that would be my best guess as to why it's showing "not available". I can go on the Harley site right now and find part numbers that do not exist (it will show the right part, but the wrong part #)

It was right as the name of the jacket matched. It was showing obsolete which means no longer available. And like I said a few out of state dealers had it. But I wasn't going to chance paying for it and then not have it fit.

The thing I don't understand and the purpose of my post was the fact that this jacket was listed as new on the HD site but it was already old news at the dealer. Almost like it was a last years style.

PSO169: What was the jacket you were looking for. I think it may be the same one as me.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of new jackets.

I tried this one on the other day and liked it. Did not buy it, yet.

Its got a removeable liner, venting, armor, waterproof. Seemed like a nice jacket.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

I picked up a Switchback jacket that was a limited jacket too.....actually pretty good marketing idea.....my jacket is very similar to the one listed here. Guess the profit is pretty high to make limited runs......

Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 AM
PSO169
Road Master

Monstermile-
I dont recall the name of the jacket. Not to be a smart a%$ but it was black with red Harley Davidson lettering on the back. I think it was a Nylon or Nylon blend. I looked at it the day I picked up my bike and really liked but since I have a HD Competition Leather Jacket I bought the HD Mesh jacket which I rode with all summer in Texas. I really liked the idea of Armor in the Elbows and Shoulders. The more I thought about it the more I really liked the Black Nylon Jacket. It was $250.00 or $260.00 for the 3XL. When I found the right size I had the wrong amount in my wallet. I liked the fact that it had a removable liner for when its not that cold and the mesh jacket is not quite enough. IF you come accross the actual name let me know.
Jeff

Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
harleyrobert4
Cruiser

I know exactly what you are talking about. THis last thursday, I went to Pensacola Harley davidson, they had a "conspicuity rainsuit" part # 97370-07vm stock, but i decided to hold off and get it from my local dealer here in Ft Walton beach, Fl. Before I went to my local dealer, I looked online and it said it was limited edition. The next day I called my local dealer to hear them say it is an obsolete item, no longer available. They then asked me where I get the part number from, I told them from the MOCO web site, i then told them Pensacola HD had the item in stock. They then told me they cannot get the item and if I wanted it, I would have to go there to get it[sm=WTFsgign.gif], which I did. Pensacola Harley informed me, they get specialty seasonal items all the time, and if the dealer does not order it when it comes available, they cannot order it later.

I hope this helps you in the future.

Quick Reply: New HD seasonal jacket...Not available???