General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is an Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011 | 11:43 PM
Galdog
|
Road Warrior
Default This is an Addiction

Sold my last Harley a little over 6 years ago, friend of mine got hit sitting at a red light and didn't survive, it took the fun out of riding. The first few years it didn't bother me at all not having a bike, then it started coming back to me. This past summer it drove me nuts, but I didn't ever mention it because I knew my wife would go nuts. In late September I came across the bike I have now (a guy I work with had it sitting in a barn), and I said "what the hell" and I bought it. Wife didn't talk to me for three days. I got a hell of deal on this bike.
You know, I rode the crap out of my Sportsters when I had them, put alot into them (sweat, love), I loved my bikes when I had them. I am amazed at some of the people I work with, they don't own a Harley for these reasons, they own a Harley just to say they own own one. They don't know what it's like to say "that's my idea, I did that".... and I ride the **** out of it!
Then it started with this bike (just like my last bike), wanting to improve it, adding this, adding that.... It's like an addiction. I thought I was done for the year, all minor additions. But in reality, I "love" my bike, simple as it it is, and I am going further. Now I am ordering larger rims, tires, getting powder coating done.... When people ask me why I am putting so much into it, I just say "I love my bike, it's like an addiction, I have a thought in my mind I am seeing where my bike should be, and I am gonna do it"! It's like an addiction....

Old 02-08-2011 | 11:49 PM
Galdog
|
Road Warrior

Whew.... too many beers at Buffalo Wild Wings tonight....

Old 02-09-2011 | 12:05 AM
Motorbones
Road Master

These two dudes wanted to start a 12 step program for people addicted to Harleys, but nobody would admit that owning one (or more) had made their lives unmanageable, but rather it made them better, so the program never got off the ground. These same two dudes went out and bought Gold Wings!!!! Go figure?

Old 02-09-2011 | 06:24 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Galdog
Whew.... too many beers at Buffalo Wild Wings tonight....
YA THINK?!?

that's a great "start-over" bike.

Old 02-09-2011 | 06:40 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah it is definetly an addiction if your really into it. My wife knid of wavers everytime somebody gets hurt on a bike if it happens in our ridding circle, my logic is if I were to get hit in a car, would I stop driving.....figure we all got to go sometime, if I'm going on a bike oh well. Sorry to hear about your friend, over the years I've lost a few, couple of times I thought about not riding also.....but then I thought about the car thing.

Old 02-09-2011 | 06:54 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member

Its not an "ADDICTION" It is however a "PASSION...........Ask me how I know?
1st of all, I am an Addiction Therapist (I work for a Drug Court)
2nd I am Passionate about my Harley ( I can Minimalize-Rationalize and Justify if I need/want to) and have been since 1969 when I got a MC endorsement for my drivers license.

Oh, shoot that is a basic criterion for addictive behavior (not the passion), the Minimalizing and Rationalizing along with Justifying..............

Oh well, carry on, I have to go feed my passion........

Old 02-09-2011 | 07:07 AM
Shredd522
Cruiser

hi, my name is Ted and I'm an addict. My last mod was 106 days ago. Man I am jonesin pretty bad....

Old 02-09-2011 | 07:14 AM
Galdog
|
Road Warrior

Too funny.... Just woke up.... Read my post.... Yea, too many beers, my head hurts!
True though, I just know after I order the rims, and do the big mods I have planned in the next month, I'll wanna change the pipes, the seat.... It'll be something else, I guarantee it....

Old 02-09-2011 | 07:19 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

I'm not addicted. I could quit if I wanted to...

Old 02-09-2011 | 07:29 AM
Maclugie
Road Master

Went to the dealer last weekend looking for some "stuff." I asked the parts guy what he had in the back and he said what do you have in mind. Chrome, I said. He said, if it's not in back I can order some for you. I told him you don't understand, I need it now!

Quick Reply: This is an Addiction