General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bought a brand new bike recently?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sept 28th...

3 reasons...

1. I was able to get exactly what I wanted with a new ride.
2. Affordable low milege bikes are not as plentiful as you might believe.
3. Because I could... (my favorite reason)...

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 AM
fiveliter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. warranty
2. financing
3. picking up your new bike at the dealer feels like Christmas morning

Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought new in 2010 for 2 very simple reasons:

1. Over here a 5 year old used bike is only a shade cheaper than new.
2. The cost to import my fatboy and have it modded to suit the Swiss BS regulations so i could get it on the road just wasn't worth the effort. Shipping + import duty + stripping the bike of all it's "non Swiss acceptable" mods + converting back to almost stock. Better to save the heartache and just buy a new bike.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought new '10 leftover last week. $400 price difference over average price of a used '10 with (on average) 1000-10,000 miles and only one year of warranty, I went with the new bike. I did find some great used buys with only a thousand miles on them, but they would be lacking in something like abs or security. I'm lucky that there are lots of dealers in this state, 6 of them in less then 30 minute drive.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess I'll be labeled as a collector, cause I only buy bikes that have a carb.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

The above are pretty good arguments for buying new. My argument for buying used is simply the cost factor.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a new holdover Ultra Limited in August. My previous bike was an 06 so I wanted all of the upgrades that H-D made in the last few years. When I looked at the price of used 08-10's and then checked the price for a holdover 10, it made much more sense to buy the new one.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

New Limited in December.
1. Liked the features on the Limited's.
2. 2010's were nearly same price as 2011's.
3. Not many used Limited's around and well equipped Ultra's are nearly the cost of new.

4. Last but not least as said earlier, I plan to keep it a long time and because I can buy new.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought used, the main reasons are I wanted a carbed bike plus All the mods , Chrome and Pipes have been done along with a corbin seat and Mini apes I just put gas in it, Everything I would have done and spent thousands of dollars on is already done. I'm a big guy 6' 3 240 lbs and a stock harley doesnt fit very well, I was able to find a bike that fit me, one that was owned and modified by another big guy

Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

There are advantages & disadvantages to both;

1. if you buy used, you not only get it cheaper, but miss out on all the taxes & fees, except for tag & title, as long as you buy privately. Would NOT buy used from a dealership.
2. Easier to buy new, as you don't have to look at lots of different bikes & try to figure out their "issues". The new one is right there on the floor.
3. When I check out a used bike, I am very **** & ridiculously thorough. I check for undercarriage scrapes (hard riding), condition of spark plug threads, I check every single fastener I can see for signs of heavy handed backyard mechanics or strippage,fluid condition,every single electrical function,etc. Because I am so thorough, I find that there are just as many problems buying new. With ex. cond. used, all the "new bugs" have been taken care of. (hopefully!)
4. Most used Ex. Cond. bikes already have alot of the stuff I was gonna put on anyway. (except for "Live To Ride" or Skulls.)
5. When you buy used privately, look at how the guy keeps his garage, or vehicle. That should give you an indication of how he treats his bike. (except in my case;I am a slob in my garage & house, but totally **** when it comes to my bike.)

Quick Reply: Anyone bought a brand new bike recently?