General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New American Legion Riders Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New American Legion Riders Chapter

So, I've been talking to my American Legion Post Commander about starting a chapter of the ALR. He put me in touch with a guy who gave me a good introductionary seminar on the workings of the organization. So, now, all I have to do is wait for the next Post meeting to ask the members if they would be okay with sponsoring us.
In the meantime, I've spoken with the director of the nearest chapter to us in order to see if they would have any problems with us starting up. He said that they would welcome and support us. I've also spoken to a few bikers in town to see if there is any interest in becoming charter members in our chapter.So far, there seems to be some interest.
I have many questions (I don't even know all of the questions yet!) but, I'll start with some easy ones. Have any of you ever been involved in starting an American Legion Riders Chapter before? If so, what did you do to get it going? What was your experience like? Did you encounter anything that I should know in advance? How do you like the ALR?
any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
sbarnes489
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a member of the ALR's. We only had 4 people at our post with bikes, so we have our own post patches, but are part of a larger post. There are a few other posts in the area that do the same. Can't really answer to many questions other than that. Hope it all goes well. By the way, where are you located at?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Skowhegan, Maine

Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We started an ALR Chapter here in Marion, Ks. Post 22 about 3 years ago. Been pretty popular. It's good to get your local Commander on board otherwise it's a rough go. It was easy for us. Then shortly after the ALR was created, I was elected as AL Post Commander which made things go real smooth. One Post near us has issues with the AL Commander and it ain't pretty sometimes. We also had some friction with the old guard at the local VFW, even though many of us are members of both. They felt like we were stealing the spotlight. But because they weren't doing anything for homecomings or sendoffs, it's hard for them to think that. There is a ton of paperwork, dues are $12 per year here in Kansas. Lots of rules, too many really. Seems as though everyone is an expert on which flag goes first in a parage, etc. etc. Did I mention lots of rules?
We have been invited to lead every parade in the county since our inception. Then of course there are the send-offs and homecomings, which are my favorite. The KIA funerals suck of course. We have had a lot of confusion with the media over whether we are ALR or Patriot Guard. So much so we stopped correcting them. They call us the Patriot Guard. You will probably need to get US Flags for the events. We got 25 and used electrical conduit for the poles. You can sometimes get things donated. Flags can also be used for the parades, we got the ALR, POW-MIA, and each service flag for parades. Our ALR meetings have better attendance than the AL, Aux, and Sons. Probably because the ALR can combine them all. Overall it's been a lot of fun. Did I mention too many rules?
Good luck, hope it goes well up there.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM
HdShark2011
Advanced

Good luck with forming a new ALR Chapter. When we started ours, the post welcomed us with open arms. That was three years ago. Now they think we are trying to take over. The elders have a hard time with people who wear leather.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Our group has a 12-14 bikes, but we never see more than about 7 at any one time. Good Luck with the charter.
ALR Post 383
Fair Oaks, CA

Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HdShark2011
Good luck with forming a new ALR Chapter. When we started ours, the post welcomed us with open arms. That was three years ago. Now they think we are trying to take over. The elders have a hard time with people who wear leather.
The "Elders" Have a hard time with anything new. Even when I was commander 10+ years ago all I got was resistance. Now I'm just a pufl who hardly ever goes to a meeting and now I am an "Elder"

Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Nightstalker88
Tourer

Originally Posted by HdShark2011
Now they think we are trying to take over. The elders have a hard time with people who wear leather.
Try wearing pants under your chaps, and quit stealing the hot blue hairs with your iron horses.