General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flags on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flags on the bike

So I just bought these two flags today. I was wondering if when I mount them on the back of my bike (which I still need to figure out how to) if the American flag goes on a certain side. I know that it usually goes on the speakers right, during formal events. I was just wondering if there was some rule about which side it goes on for motorcycles. Before I put them on and offend someone. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Flags on the bike-cdnye2gcwk-kgrhqeokoge0fi2e6vtbnnzb-ls-w-0_12.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

Looking at the bike from the rear, American Flag goes on the right side. That way, when on the kick stand the American Flag is always highest.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Looking at the bike from the rear, American Flag goes on the right side. That way, when on the kick stand the American Flag is always highest.
That's correct, but it's not the reason. As I recall, the flag is supposed to be to its own right, or "marching right".

Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good way to explain it.

good luck with mounting. there is no reason to spend lots of money on fancy mounts. I used wire ties to mount flags to the sissybar uprights. here are a couple of photos of how I've got them on my Road King. I probably don't have more than $10 in materials for thses mounts. I also run 3X5 flags in these mounts for PGR missions.

Attached Thumbnails Flags on the bike-001.jpg   Flags on the bike-002.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

The OP mentions with flag website, Bikerflags.com. Gotta add my support for the products from that website.

Bought a US, Texas, and US Army flag from them that mounts on the Tourpac luggage rack. Fits great! And the flags have several hundred miles at 75 mph plus and look as good today as when I bought them.

Good products at Bikerflags.com.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer

Originally Posted by aviator
good way to explain it.

good luck with mounting. there is no reason to spend lots of money on fancy mounts. I used wire ties to mount flags to the sissybar uprights. here are a couple of photos of how I've got them on my Road King. I probably don't have more than $10 in materials for thses mounts. I also run 3X5 flags in these mounts for PGR missions.

Thanks for the explanation! I figured there was a certain way, the kickstand is a good rule of thumb.

After seeing some of the prices of $50-60+ for a flag mount I am definitely just going to the local hardware store to fix something up.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Unless you ride a trike

There is a reason, and it's the United States Flag Code, which you can find here:

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Also good info on flag etiquette as it applies to motorcycles at the Patriot Guard website, www.patriotguard.org

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
VTwin
Intermediate

Hey there RussianMonk. Check out www.rumblingpride.com They make multiple mounts for all Harley Davidson. I use the Custom Cruiser mounts on my 2007 Road King. They make a bracket that goes behind the license plate and allows you to mount flags at 90 degrees (straight up) or at 45 degrees if you don't have the clearance. Also other mounts. They really stand behine their products and replace many parts. I had ridden over 20,000 miles and they replaced a worn flag no questions asked. Have fun......

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
sbarnes489
Advanced

If you have the same flags and poles in the picture, they are supposed to be zip tied to the sissy bar. If you have ones that have a threaded stud and nut, just go to the hardware store and look at the brackets. Get a 90 degree bracket with holes on both sides and mount them to a license plate bolt. Just some thoughts.

Quick Reply: Flags on the bike