General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Lane cleared of charges

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:21 PM
lowglide
|
Advanced
Default Billy Lane cleared of charges

North Carolina - Custom motorcycle builder and TV personality Billy Lane, appearing Thursday in a North Carolina court, was found not guilty of driving a motorcycle while intoxicated after a three-hour trial before a judge.

Lane had refused to take a Breathalyzer test after being stopped in June. The refusal forced the suspension of his driver's license, but also left prosecutors without any evidence to present in a Rowan County court.

Lane's attorney, James Davis, called several witnesses who testified that Lane drank only one beer that night in North Carolina.

Lane, however, still faces DUI and "driving with a suspended license causing a death" charges in Brevard County after a Sept. 4 head-on crash on State Road A1A that left a motorcycle rider dead.

Because his license was revoked in North Carolina, he had lost his right to drive in Florida at the time of the fatal accident.

"Regardless of the outcome in North Carolina, he was still driving with a suspended license when he got involved in the crash at Brevard County," said Sgt. Michael Brown of the Florida Highway Patrol."We have our own case," Brown said. "The investigators are confident they have a good case against Mr. Lane."

The victim's family was stunned by the decision.

"Oh, God," said Morelock's brother, Byron, a financial consultant. "This is unbelievable. I swore to my boy, 'This ain't gonna happen here.' "

"This is a joke," he said. "This guy killed my brother. I'm disappointed in (North) Carolina."

Florida Highway Patrol Homicide Investigator Sgt. Channing Taylor said that Lane, who had been at two bars before the accident, was attempting to pass three cars at night on a double-yellow line when he hit a mini-Yamaha driven by Sebastian Inlet Park Ranger Gerald Morelock.

The accident severed Morelock's leg and sent his body flying to the pavement. Taylor said he died instantly.

Lane, who was injured along with his passenger, 22-year-old Erin Derrick, submitted to a blood alcohol test after being told he had no choice, but did not give a statement to investigators.

The test showed Lane had a blood-alcohol level of .192, more than twice the legal limit of .08.

His attorney in Brevard, Kepler Funk, said he is investigating the incident as he prepares for trial.

"Things aren't always what they appear," Funk said. "Just because somebody gets accused of something doesn't mean they did what they're accused of doing."

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:26 PM
eglidebob
Tourer
Default RE: Billy Lane cleared of charges

What a joke!! He will probably get out of killing that guy also. In Ohio, if you refuse the breathalyzer test you get automatic suspension and jail time. Refusing the test is basically the same as pleading guilty.

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

He's going to have a short lived celebration. I don't see any way he's
not going to get some serious jail time in FL. They had to hold him down
to get his blood this time and that will be the final nail in his coffin. Finding
buds to say he only had "one beer" ain't gonna help this time.

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:04 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: petemac

to get his blood this time and that will be the final nail in his coffin. Finding
Stranger things have happened. Remember OJ?

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:05 PM
fatrob
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: eglidebob

What a joke!! He will probably get out of killing that guy also. In Ohio, if you refuse the breathalyzer test you get automatic suspension and jail time. Refusing the test is basically the same as pleading guilty.
Same as that in England too, no argument!

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:08 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

I also read from an unamed and unconfirmed source that a lawsuit of 20 Million has been filed by somebody against Chrysler for letting him drive the truck.......that's all I know about it right now, time will tell............

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:13 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hdjoe88

ORIGINAL: petemac

Stranger things have happened. Remember OJ?
Yup, yup, if you have enough money, you may get away with murder.

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:15 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Draggin S

Well,

I also read from an unamed and unconfirmed source that a lawsuit of 20 Million has been filed by somebody against Chrysler for letting him drive the truck.......that's all I know about it right now, time will tell............
They should also sue Goodyear since their tires were on the truck. Or Sirrus Satellite
radio if he had one of those installed. Ridiculous........this crap happens way too much.

Old 10-06-2006 | 03:05 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Most of the time DUI trials w/o video or BAC test information will favor the defendant. If the information is true on his homocide trial, he is toast and deserves to be.

Old 10-06-2006 | 03:13 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

All I have to say is that it is crap. I have not seen any interviews or anything since this has happened does anyone know what Lane is saying?

Jeff

Quick Reply: Billy Lane cleared of charges