General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle jacking (not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
ctbird53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Not for nothin, but you really think shooting a guy in the side/back while riding away on your bike is gonna fly as self defense.
Yes I carry ATGATT
I might be wrong but last I heard you have the right to protect your property...at least in Texas

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Not surprised at all. The San Antonio mayor got car jacked when I was stationed there back in the early '90's.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
TMM
Advanced

You don't learn anything in a 12 hour texas chl class you can't learn in 30 minutes.
Really? That statement is so full of holes in it's logic and reasoning, it looks like swiss cheese... and I believe it's ten hours, or at least it was the last three times I've renewed my license here in the great Republic of Texas...

Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys
I'm not debating states gun laws or interpretation of said laws
All I'm saying if this happened to me, at what I feel being out maneuvered
and out gunned I would not pull a weapon for fear of the perp having a knee jerk reaction
and shooting me.
I've learned from EMS and life to be very aware of my surroundings and look for outs.
Maybe if I thought I was going to get shot anyway I would have moved towards my weapon cause the perp had me totally flat footed.
This has happened to LEOS and UCs

No flame just my assessment

Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
NR5P
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TMM
Really? That statement is so full of holes in it's logic and reasoning, it looks like swiss cheese... and I believe it's ten hours, or at least it was the last three times I've renewed my license here in the great Republic of Texas...

Let me rephrase it. You don't learn crap in a chl class. You learn a few rules you should already have learned before taking the class. You shoot a target a 6 year old could hit in the texas chl. It's an expensive tax that the state imposes. I don't believe in paying for a right I have so I take the cheapest route possible. Permits don't do or prevent squat. Anyways sorry 10 hrs. As the other guy said you have to practice to learn.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"When he stopped near the intersection of FM 78, also known as Seguin Road, a passenger in the truck jumped out, pointed a gun at the man, forced him off the cycle and drove off, with the truck's driver following."

As I stated in my first post, " It makes you want to bust a cap". That said, every situation is different and fluid. From the article above, it appears that one scenero if the rider had been armed, was to wait, pull his weapon, then have the suspect exit the vehicle in much the same way as he was removed from the driver's seat. but without any other evidence as to what the driver of the truck was doing, could have a different outcome and may not have been a good choice. wasn't there; don't know....

You never know what you would do until the time comes. you train, (muscle memory) for different things but no situation is ever the same. The only thing about not stopping this suspect is that the next time, while attempting to stop someone, an innocent person would be injured or killed. But life goes on....

Hopefully, these guys will be caught and given a place to set and think about there life choices......

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtSkiddz
There's no such thing as stray bullets. Just bad shots by people who aren't proficient with their weapon. And can't aim for shiat.
It's why the standard for CCW should be raised to 100%.
My comment was addressing the earlier post about shooting at your tire or something. Do you really believe there would not be a stray bullet as a result???

If there are people around tho I agree. Hold your shot.
That was my point.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Not for nothin, but you really think shooting a guy in the side/back while riding away on your bike is gonna fly as self defense.
Yes I carry ATGATT
It won't fly as self defense, but this is Texas, if their stealin your **** and if you got a permit, you can make the shot. Front ,Back or sideways.

This guy wasn't packin and had his cell phone on the bike, which left with the highjacker.

**** poor planning, on this guys part.

Be Prepared, or be a victim, the choice is yours!

You never know just how this unfolded, and it's easy to Monday Morning Quarterback. Just maybe a wake up call to all that would listen.

Keep your gun and your cell on your person!

Last edited by Harleybass; 02-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
Let us know if there is more news on this, if you would. There are a lot easier ways to steel motorcycles than at gun point in broad daylight.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master

Here in NC if the person is going away from you they're no longer a threat to you so you can't do anything about it. So no, self defense wouldn't fly in NC if you shot the guy in the back or side. NC law also says if you are acting on self defense that once you can control the person you have to stop, you can't just keep going until you're body hurts from beating on him.

On the other hand I would shoot the tires on both the bike and truck. At least I would want to. Reason I probably wouldn't is that MY LUCK would be that the guy in the truck would get out with an AK-47 and the guy on the bike would come back to the truck and get another AK-47 out. You never know about that kind of stuff until it's too late. Think about it like this, I'd rather insurance buy me a new bike than end up dead or paralyzed because I wanted to shoot at them and find out they have bigger guns than I had.

Last edited by SouthernGuy8503; 02-06-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: motorcycle jacking (not what you think)