General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rides in SF Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rides in SF Bay Area?

Well,

Looks like we're moving again. This time from San Diego to San Francisco Bay Area, specifically, the peninsula. Sure don't want to leave.

Up here for a week looking for housing, interviewing for jobs etc. Have family here and am a little familiar with the area.

We have been spoiled by the great San Diego riding, with empty back roads through mountains etc and am gravely concerned that there are no decent roads in the area that don't have a billion cars and bikes on them. 101 is a nightmare. 280 is better. Been on 35 and 1, beautiful but crowded with sports bike squids whizzing passed me in my lane, passing on the blind curves etc, 1 is nice but crowded and slow.

Any suggestions? (other than staying in San Diego!)

Sh*t, sure wish I could stay south.

Thanks,
Arthur

Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worry not.....tons of great roads here and the easiest thing to do is check out a great site that focuses more on the bay/N. cal area ......pashnit.com

Once you start checking out all the roads that head inland, or to the wine country, or north along the coast line, or south with big sur, well, you get the idea

Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
arthur
Road Master

Thanks, good web site. Loved the rides on Hwy 1 both north and south. Looking for the least populated roads too. Will check them out on pashnit.

Arthur

Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
08rking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was 80 degrees today in the wine country. Wore a t-shirt until I got to Bodega Bay, then had to put on a jacket. As someone already said, the wine country has some beautiful roads, you just have to deal with some freeways to get to it from the peninsula. It's worth the ride though. PM me when you get settled and I'll give you more info.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I live in wine country, and I've got a cousin who lived around here for at least thirty years until his base closed, and he moved to Sand Diego. It is really nice there. I'd go down to visit, and we'd go hit those roads you love.

He loves where he's at, don't get me wrong. But whenever we'd go hit the roads out east of SD (Julian and Palomar, etc.) he'd nearly always reminisce about the roads up here. And from the peninsula (which I'll admit I'm not that familiar with) there are alot of roads that are immensely (in fact probably too) popular with sportbikers. Check Hwy 9 and Alice's, and head down to Santa Cruz and look for the roads that cross the Coastal Range.

Mt. Veeder. Skaggs. Soda Canyon. Dry Creek. Trinity. Hwy 128. We have roads up here in the Wine Country. You'll like them.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Head north out of the Bay Area or inland. Mendocino County has some great roads for adventuring.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by arthur
Well,

Looks like we're moving again. This time from San Diego to San Francisco Bay Area, specifically, the peninsula. Sure don't want to leave.

Up here for a week looking for housing, interviewing for jobs etc. Have family here and am a little familiar with the area.

We have been spoiled by the great San Diego riding, with empty back roads through mountains etc and am gravely concerned that there are no decent roads in the area that don't have a billion cars and bikes on them. 101 is a nightmare. 280 is better. Been on 35 and 1, beautiful but crowded with sports bike squids whizzing passed me in my lane, passing on the blind curves etc, 1 is nice but crowded and slow.

Any suggestions? (other than staying in San Diego!)

Sh*t, sure wish I could stay south.

Thanks,
Arthur
Highway 1 south from SF to Santa Cruz. I personally like Skyline drive, Alice's restaurant, and all the bikes.

Most roads in Marin Co on North.

Even though its kind of like freeway, I like Hiway 17 through the Santa Cruz mts. Can have a lot of traffic though.

Wine country is good for a day trip, and Hiway 120 and 108 through to Sonora is a two hour ride from Bay Area. A real good day trip. Be sure to eat at the City restaurant in Columbia "ghost town" near Sonora. Stop at Jamestown railway on the way up. There's a Harley dealer in Jamestown.

Frankly, so many, I can't list them all.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 02-06-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It was 72 here in the Monterey Bay area. Rode highway 1 from Santa Cruz to Big Sur for lunch at the River Inn. The mountain and ocean views were incredible, as always. There are lots of great roads around here. Highways 9 & 35 are always great and a trip to Alice's Restaurant is a must. Also, the ride through San Jose over Mt. Hamilton and through the San Antonio Valley to Livermore is another favorite of mine.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
arthur
Road Master

Thanks everyone. My wife and I did love riding in the wine country and north.
@ Harleydavis, we checked out Mt Hamilton in the car yesterday. Looks good and not too many cars. Will keep an eye out for roads with fewest cars.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,670 Likes on 700 Posts

Yesterday rode through Napa to Bodega Bay headed north past Sea Ranch to Gualala. I couldnt believe how light the traffic was....75 degrees, youre gonna like it up here.

Quick Reply: Rides in SF Bay Area?