General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5k Service - Independent Ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Salchicha
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5k Service - Independent Ok?

I'm coming up to my 5k service on my 2011 FXDWG. I have an Independent that I would prefer to use (best service and pricing, one hell of a nice guy) but want to be sure it won't monkey with my warranty in the event that I need warranty work in the future. Has anyone gone this route and had any issues from the dealership at a later date for warranty work? Thanks in advance

Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Hell i did it myself and saved even more... Buy yourself a jack and a manual and you will still save....But to answer your question yes you are fine with doing that.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
nighttrainwayne
Cruiser

notgrownup hit it on the head. you dont have to take it back to the stealership for service. one thing i would reccomend whether you do it yourself or have an indy shop do it, make sure and check everything thats in the back of the owners manual. and while youre there, have the mech sign and date it with the miles too.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u never have to take it to dealer but keep a record of what was done and keep receipts

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does everyone seem to think that doing your own services will void your warranty? I have never taken any of my vehicles back to the dealers I bought them from for service. That includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, whatever. Is this a HD specific concern? Has anyone ever heard of a first hand issue that lead to a warranty claim being denied?

Just like the rest of my motorized vehicles, I have done all the service on my HD since I got it new. Installed everything from pipes, intake, power-commander, to tank lift, bags, and smoked lenses and never worried anything I did would void my warranty.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The normal services just need to be done, whether it's by yourself, an indy or the dealer. It just needs to be documented in order to maintain the warranty. It's not that difficult to do yourself if you have some mechanical skills. It's easier if you have a friend that can show you how to do it. Of course everything is easy if you know how to do it. Personally I like doing the work myself since I know it's done right that way.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're at all mechanically inclined (even in a minor fashion) get a model/year specific service manual, a few tools, and do it yourself....you're the only one who REALLY cares about the your baby.

Document the purchase of the required consumables (oil, filters, O rings, derby gasket, etc) and check off the convenient checklists for each service interval (the HD service manuals are plainly written and well illustrated) as you perform each simple task...and you'll be just fine....and you'll be much better acquainted with your bike than 99% of the HD owners bitchin about dealer mechanics. The basic service stuff isn't very complicated....and the really complicated problems will be rare if you take care of the basics.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Dub
Why does everyone seem to think that doing your own services will void your warranty? I have never taken any of my vehicles back to the dealers I bought them from for service. That includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, whatever. Is this a HD specific concern? Has anyone ever heard of a first hand issue that lead to a warranty claim being denied?

Just like the rest of my motorized vehicles, I have done all the service on my HD since I got it new. Installed everything from pipes, intake, power-commander, to tank lift, bags, and smoked lenses and never worried anything I did would void my warranty.
Ditto!

One time I had some warranty issues on a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and I actually negotiated with the dealer to furnish the parts and I did the work myself. They even cut me a check for my labor.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,233 Likes on 2,465 Posts

As others have said, as long as everything is done and documented, you're ok as far as the warranty.

I learned many years ago that it is better to do it yourself...any dealer, and pretty much any indy, does not care about your bike or your safety like you do.

If you do have someone else work on your bike, you're gonna have to go through it yourself anyway to make sure all was tightened up right.

RE: Warranty

I had my engine let go at a little over 50K on my RK, I had done all the service from day one.

Warranty covered a new engine in the bike with no problems.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Dave2261
Cruiser

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Quick Reply: 5k Service - Independent Ok?