General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long solo rides -- what's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode solo from Phoenix, Arizona to Hyder, Alaska and zig zaged several states on the way home last summer. I totaled 9,600 miles in 11 days. I traveled without an itinerary or any goals, other than to reach Hyder.

I loved the freedom to ride hour on end, rarely stopping more than 10 minutes to fuel. I found this to be extremely relaxing and stress free. I felt total freedom, although euphoria was sometimes replaced by reality during some horrible weather I experienced.

I certainly plan to do some more long distance rides in the future, including South America.

Having said all that, I still like to ride with others on occasion.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Keep a list of the stuff you NEED and the stuff you can do without. If you have holey old sox/underwear/t-shirts, take them and toss them while on the road. That way you get to do a little house-cleaning, buy new stuff on the road, and less laundry to do. Make use of truck-stops for showers, or stop by a motel early in the day and give the cleaning ladies a few bucks for use of a shower in a room not made up.
Good post. And a great tip on throwing the maids a few bucks to take a shower in an already used room. I've been motorcycle touring for years and never heard that one before. Early on I used to stuff 4 or 5 pairs of jeans in my T-bag. Over the years I realized I only need two pairs, laundromats are everywhere and I can get two days or so out of a pair of pants. I Too take my oldest socks and t-shirts to start the trip then they get tossed out. Walmarts are everywhere also, As well as thrift stores for .50 cent t-shirts if needed. My tourmaster 3/4 length jacket (removable liner) along with another heated liner is good for 10 degrees up to 100 degrees. No sense in bringing along 3 different jackets.

And take advantage of the freebies along the way. Even the cheap motels offer "continental breakfasts" No sense wasting money on stuff like ham and egg breakfasts when a bowl of cereal and some muffins will get you by until lunch or dinner.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 AM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Well over half my road trips have been solo since 1972 and I've had a great time each and everyone of them . Been lots of good advice given in here already . My biggest thing is it brings an inner peace you can't get any other way I've found . I've met life long friends on these trips just stopping for a water break on one occasion so it's a learning adventure in the right frame of mind . Like posted before take the less traveled roads do the interstates only if you have to and just be yourself when you stop somewhere . People will open up to a single friendly rider way before or if they will at all to a group and I've have some serious good times in small town America with bored locals . Go for it , all that can happen is a solo road trip .
Good advise about talking to people and making new friends... I've met other motorcycle enthusiast on my trips and have stayed in touch for years now...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonster13
I head back when I have used up half of my time and never look back. Solo travelling feeds the soul.
I like this. Simple - but I never thought about it. Longest solo ride I have done is 630 miles one way, but I had a destination in mind.

I, too, am taking care of an ailing dad as much as I can. Parents still have a home, but I get them to stay with me as much as I can because it's hard for my mom to take care of him by herself. So. . . they've been with me since November this time. And work is demanding for me, so no way I can be gone 5 or 6 weeks at a time. But - to take of with 5 or 6 days - ride as far as I can go, wherever I feel like going, for 3 days, then start heading home - that sounds fun.

Great ideas in this thread.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
I like this. Simple - but I never thought about it. Longest solo ride I have done is 630 miles one way, but I had a destination in mind.

I, too, am taking care of an ailing dad as much as I can. Parents still have a home, but I get them to stay with me as much as I can because it's hard for my mom to take care of him by herself. So. . . they've been with me since November this time. And work is demanding for me, so no way I can be gone 5 or 6 weeks at a time. But - to take of with 5 or 6 days - ride as far as I can go, wherever I feel like going, for 3 days, then start heading home - that sounds fun.

Great ideas in this thread.

Time is what sets my limits on solo rides not the destination . I may start with a place in mind but it rarely ends there , just too much to see and do when you take the time to look around and not just race past at 80mph trying to get somewhere popular. I set my time limit and when I hit the halfway mark hang a 180 head towards home not by the same route of if I can help it .

A word of warning , you have one good trip and it's worse than a crack habit from then on it's that addicting .

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every year for the last 47 years, no matter what, I have set sail on at least one long solo ride... some longer than others. I have ridden South America, Australia, Japan, Mexico, Canada, and throughout the 50 U.S. States... have been to at least one rally everywhere rallies were held until they became the "Poserville" commercials they are today. I am now 62 and retired and still ride, but find myself looking for one or two companions to meet up with that have the same riding style as I do... it's not so much having someone to ride with, but more having some old fart like myself to sit back with at the end of each day and share what our ride was like. The perfect scenario would be to take off individually each AM, ride the day away with no particular agenda, then meet up at an agreed upon place each night or every other night... I think. Never done it, but it sounds like an alternative to riding and being alone every day..... just a thought for now.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by handyhoward
The perfect scenario would be to take off individually each AM, ride the day away with no particular agenda, then meet up at an agreed upon place each night or every other night... I think. Never done it, but it sounds like an alternative to riding and being alone every day..... just a thought for now.
That sounds like a great idea. I wish some of my friends had that view of riding. I do a lot of solo trips now but spent the last 15 years or so going to bikeweeks with two other friends. I finally had to tell them I needed a few "Me" days just to go off by myself.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve been on a couple week long trips solo – 2,200 miles on the last one out to Santa Fe/Taos and touring the area there tent camping. I’ve actually never taken a long distance trip with other riders. I rather enjoy keeping my own pace and taking a break when I feel like it and not having to inconvenience anyone with my needs for a rest…….

I can see the aspect of sharing the experience with others being enjoyable………..

Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it. Stay off the interstates as much as possible. Don't over plan.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 AM
jedsled
Intermediate

I live in wisconsin and bought my road king in florida last year. I took 3 days to ride it all the way back home. It was a great trip, my first harley and was a great way to familiarize myself with the bike! It was all surreal- riding through ft. Lauderdale and looking at the palm trees... I thought a lot during the trip, had just gone through a bad divorce, and the ride was very liberating for me. It was the perfect divorce present to myself. I'm happy that I did my trip alone.

Quick Reply: Long solo rides -- what's it like?